Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 AM

chookey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A DC socket tale

Customer brought in a Dell 1545 laptop with a broken dc socket. The centre plastic moulding was missing with only the bare contacts visible. Took care of the business side and off he went on his merry way.

Total strip down as the socket sits' on a daughterboard which is connected to the underside of the motherboard. Now being able to properly inspect the damage I wondered if his charger plug had suffered damage also. A small chip of the plastic rim was missing, not too bad I thought.

Then I saw the light, the charger plug in my hand was round whereas the socket is octagonal. The charger is a replacement type but the power ratings are correct.

I informed the customer, "its' not my fault, its' the one they sent me". Doesn't want me to order one for him as he would rather do that himself. Hope he makes a better job of it this time then.

Still, it leaves me with a bit of a problem. My universal adapter has no octagonal plug, how the hell do I test my repair, lol.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 AM

abyssinian is an unknown quantity at this point

You can use the round AC adapters in the octagon DC jacks...but not the other way around. They fit a tad loose, but not too bad.

I suggest that you offer to replace the octagon DC jack with the much more common round one. They are 100% interchangeable in this model. When given the option, I have only had one customer decline this...he still had the octagon adapter even though he supplied a round one with the laptop.

Last edited by abyssinian; 04-21-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 AM

chookey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Abyssinian. Took me forever yesterday to source the round socket, the octagonal one appears to be more popular here in the UK, judging by the availability of spares anyway.