Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 AM

ell will become famous soon enough
Angry HP Printer installing as a disk drive?!

I'm exhausted, been trying to get this $%#% HP photosmart c4795 installed in this win 7 64 bit for two days now. I have cleaned out everything hp, reinstalled, you name it, ccleaner, revo uninstaller, but for some reason I can only get the scanner portion of the all-in-one installed, the printer shows in device manager as a disk drive! Also when I try to install it with windows "add a printer" (the hp installer fails) I get a error 0x000003eb anybody run across this??
Old 04-19-2012, 01:46 AM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

OK, it's an all in one with card readers, so those are the disk drives the system sees.

I have had problems with HP trying to use the basic drivers. HP wants you to have all their drivers, utilities, ink monitoring, etc.

Try uninstalling the driver one more time and use the full feature drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...40574&sw_lang=
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
OK, it's an all in one with card readers, so those are the disk drives the system sees.

I have had problems with HP trying to use the basic drivers. HP wants you to have all their drivers, utilities, ink monitoring, etc.

Try uninstalling the driver one more time and use the full feature drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...40574&sw_lang=
yeah I tried that too, fail, it install all the other drivers fine, just not the printing one, oh and I forgot to mention it prints fine from the hp diagnostic tool
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 AM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

Have you tried installing it on a different system to rule out the printer itself?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Technologies View Post
Have you tried installing it on a different system to rule out the printer itself?
yes, I installed the printer on two other systems, tried a repair install of win 7, fail, safe made, guess its looking like a clean install. This thing had multiple anti-viruses installed previously and several viruses, sfc coulddn't complete all the way either. I got everything off and cleaned up, it runs perfectly otherwise, if she hadn't had the printer issue I never would have suspected it was still screwed up. Heres the error log from sfc, can't really tell the issue here:

POQ 9765 ends.
00009972 [SR] Verify complete
00009973 [SR] Verifying 1 components
00009974 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
00009975 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #6330934# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation:irectFileSyst emProvider::SysReadFile(h = 394 ("\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\winsxs\x86_mi cro soft-windows-imageres_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_dc93 f95659399ba8\imageres.dll"), evt = 0, apcr = NULL, apcc = NULL, iosb = @0x13e4f0, data = {l:0 b:}, byteoffset = 1835008 (0x00000000001c0000), key = (null))
00009976@2012/4/12:23:37:37.946 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cp p(2155): Error c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation:irectFileSyst emProvider::SysReadFile expression: (null)
00009977 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #6330933# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CFile_IRtlFile Tearoff::ReadFile(Flags = 3, Buffer = {l:0 ml:65536 b:}, Offset = 1835008 (0x00000000001c0000), Disposition = 0)

Last edited by ell; 04-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

itsJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried contacting HP support? lol
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

Might be time for a reset of the printer. Some HP's have a way to reset them to factory defaults, which may solve your problem. You'd have look up the procedure for your model, but its something like holding down the # button and plugging it in/turning it on.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Barring the usage of any potentially existing HP clean-uninstall type tool, (and the previously mentioned printer reset procedure) you might try looking for and removing all HP Printer related entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum (I would do a search for HP and examine each result) but particularly the Root branch where the legacy subkeys exist.

EDIT: oh, maybe even easier if you haven't tried already, open Computer Management from the Windows menu in D7
(or the hard way, at a command prompt type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" press enter, then type "devmgmt.msc" and enter.)
Then goto View > Show Non-Present Devices and you should see DevMan expand with a bunch of phantom entries, find and delete everything HP related of course under printers, disk drives, etc. but also particularly under System Devices if found.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 04-19-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishTech View Post
Barring the usage of any potentially existing HP clean-uninstall type tool, (and the previously mentioned printer reset procedure) you might try looking for and removing all HP Printer related entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum (I would do a search for HP and examine each result) but particularly the Root branch where the legacy subkeys exist.

EDIT: oh, maybe even easier if you haven't tried already, open Computer Management from the Windows menu in D7
(or the hard way, at a command prompt type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" press enter, then type "devmgmt.msc" and enter.)
Then goto View > Show Non-Present Devices and you should see DevMan expand with a bunch of phantom entries, find and delete everything HP related of course under printers, disk drives, etc. but also particularly under System Devices if found.
scoured the registry, reinstalled still get only the scanner part of it installed even though the hp installer says its installed. I then ran the "add a printer" from windows and select the hp driver (the one i downloaded) and it gives a error 0x000003eb
Old 04-19-2012, 04:54 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ell View Post
scoured the registry, reinstalled still get only the scanner part of it installed even though the hp installer says its installed. I then ran the "add a printer" from windows and select the hp driver (the one i downloaded) and it gives a error 0x000003eb
Hmm, also try to look into DriverView from Nirsoft.net - find anything HP related and rip out, including files. You can sort by column in DriverView so sort by manufacturer. Also check into "unknown" devices.

Granted a little bit of a different situation - I once had a SiS VGA driver blue screening. no matter how I thought I had cleaned the registry and file system using the tricks I specified above, but DriverView found a SYS file in %windir%\system32\drivers that was SiS related, and after deleting that file the new drivers installed and no more blue screens. Lesson learned: sometimes driver installations don't replace existing files.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!