Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 AM

Starsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best use of autoruns

Hey guys,

I have downloaded and been using the latest Computer Repair Utility Kit which is fantastic and really helpful. One of the included tools is "Autoruns" which lists not only all the programs that are set to start with windows, but every single service, explorer dll, internet explorer addon, scheduled task, drivers etc. All in all, in pretty much lists every single thing that is loaded on top of the most basic windows boot.

When diagnosing slow computers, it is pretty easy to see the programs that dont need to be run on start and disable them. My questions is....What about the rest of the results that the program lists? What is the best way to decide what is necessary and what isnt? I mean the drivers and processes etc.

Do you just get a feel over time for what should and shouldnt be running? Are there any other programs you can recommend for scanning all the running services and list the ones that can be safely disabled? I also noticed that Vista seems to run about a billion more services and such than xp, as listed by autoruns.

Is Hijack This! the best tool for this? Any other freeware services any of you can recommend? I have found a few websites that list common services that can be disabled but I would be interested in something more robust....

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions,

Michael.