Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 AM

trendless is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point; an easy way to secure RDP.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 AM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendless View Post
I'd think the 'business use' of Teamviewer is if you were using it to support clients, not if you were using it to access your personal machines at your office.

I did, however, misread how you were gonna use it and after re-reading I'd definitely recommend RDP -- works great on smartphones, too. And fast... did I mention it was fast?
Yeah, I knew that was the use, but I'm just not clear on what they mean by commercial or business use. If he is using it in the course of a service he provides for which he is getting paid.....? As always, I am probably just a little paranoid though.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 AM

trendless is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'putertutor View Post
Yeah, I knew that was the use, but I'm just not clear on what they mean by commercial or business use. If he is using it in the course of a service he provides for which he is getting paid.....? As always, I am probably just a little paranoid though.
Fair enough; I probably fall on the 'stretching-the-rules' side of that particular fence.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM

kisk is on a distinguished road

UltraVNC works great here, with any version of windows. Plus, its completely free for personal & commercial use, you can transfer files, chat two-way, etc.. really my favorite.

Last edited by kisk; 04-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisk View Post
UltraVNC works great here, with any version of windows. Plus, its completely free for personal & commercial use, you can transfer files, chat two-way, etc.. really my favorite.
You can transfer files via RDP as well but it is horribly slow when outside your LAN. I do prefer RDP though as i get printer redirection and its built in
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Back in the Pre-WinXP days...we'd use VNC, PcAnywhere, CarbonCopy, Timbuktu, remote apps like that.

Since XP and 2k3 came out...RDP blows them away for smoothness,responsiveness.

However..they require tracking your IP somehow on the host LAN (dynamic dns service..or static IP from ISP)...and port forwarding on your firewall...and then a static IP on your host PC for the port forwarding to work correctly.

Now..granted..most of us techs here can do the above stuff in our sleep..with one hand tied behind our back. Others may worry about exposing RDP to the internet...so they'll insist of a VPN in between. One more step...yes still easy for most of us.

But..with todays technology for remote access...with nice neutral web based products like Team Viewer...or LogMeIN..where we don't have to worry about firewalls, static IPs, exposing ports on our host LAN...why not use them?

Better yet...combine an easy service like the above...with the smoothness of RDP....Microsoft has a FREE product much like teamviewer or logmein..it's called Live MESH! Works GREAT! And so many additional features you can benefit from...synching stuff like Office products (Outlook), Docs, cloud storage w/SkyDrive.