Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Red face Making a shipping claim for damage during shipping of server

I just shipped a server and when it arrived the packaging looked fine and I told the recipient to take pictures of the box before unpacking. When he opened it he noticed a small dent in the back side of the case that made getting the cover off a little difficult. I took pictures of the unit prior to shipping and received pictures of the item unpacked.

I called FedEx about this and the claim process is pretty lengthy. They want the server shipped to FedEx for examination and then they want to ship it to me to have it repaired and then it gets shipped back to the customer! This thing took 2 hours to package because it was so big. This would be a total nightmare if the customer wanted it to go through the return/repair process. I don't know why the item can't be repaired where the customer is instead of shipping it back to the sender.

The buyer told me that there is something that you can put on the exterior of the package that is a G-force meter, basically something that breaks/shows if the package was handled roughly while shipping - costs about $5 he said. Sound pretty interesting and might come in handy for any of you shipping a computer.
http://www.telatemp.com/c/179/Shippi...ock-indicators
http://shockwatch.com/impact-tilt/im...ator/index.php
http://www.agmcontainer.com/shock_in...roshocklog.htm

There might be similar items available but this is the only one I found.

Pics of the damage:

Item as shipped:

Last edited by tankman1989; 04-12-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 AM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

The last shop I worked for had a massive amount of people beating the hell out of the computers we sold. Anyway, we eventually beefed up our Terms and Conditions and bought all sort of types of these Shockwatch things. They went into everything, laptops and desktops. We managed to head off people that seemed to purposely beat the crap out of them and insist on a replacement. It increased the cost of each unit by about $3, but helped eliminate many fraudsters. And the use of these devices was known and acknowledged at purchase.

As far as opening a claim against FedEx or UPS, in order to gain anything, you have to follow their procedure, which usually end in being denied. However, I had the opportunity to ship with FedEx a year ago and have the same problem. In the end, I filed a claim in small claims court, and won. So, that is always a possibility.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Technologies View Post
The last shop I worked for had a massive amount of people beating the hell out of the computers we sold. Anyway, we eventually beefed up our Terms and Conditions and bought all sort of types of these Shockwatch things. They went into everything, laptops and desktops. We managed to head off people that seemed to purposely beat the crap out of them and insist on a replacement. It increased the cost of each unit by about $3, but helped eliminate many fraudsters. And the use of these devices was known and acknowledged at purchase.

As far as opening a claim against FedEx or UPS, in order to gain anything, you have to follow their procedure, which usually end in being denied. However, I had the opportunity to ship with FedEx a year ago and have the same problem. In the end, I filed a claim in small claims court, and won. So, that is always a possibility.
Thanks for the reply! I was really disappointed when I heard that the unit was damaged and to be honest at first I thought he was trying to pull a fast one somehow since he paid 1/2 up front and then owed the second 50% upon arrival. I'm still trying to figure out a way to verify customers before shipping large $ items such as this. The best thing I have found so far is Heatware.com which is basically a feedback site for a number of forums, kind of like the Ebay feedback mechanism.

Speaking of terms and conditions I am going to have to make some changes to mine to cover issues like this. I'm definately going to invest in some of those shock sensors as well, probably cheaper than spending money on insurance! ($500 insurance for USPS priority was $7.50! that is expensive IMO). $750 of insurance at Fedex was no where near what USPS charges for less coverage.

I was told that they would refund the shipping but we would have to re-package the unit (it took me almost 2 hours to make the box from 4 different boxes) and have it picked up tomorrow. Then it would be examined at the FedEx location, then shipped to me, fixed then repackaged and shipped to the customer. This is the only way that I can get any type of compensation from FedEx. I told them the packaging alone to repackage it by the two of us is the cost of shipping itself. So much for the insurance.

I asked them why they don't have a way for people to go onsite to do evaluation like on-site warranty repair. I would think this would be much easier and make people happier, but also allow more scammers to try to game the system.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 AM

I'd like to know what something like this would cost to have fixed - not that it is going to be but just curious. Would they just bend it or do you think they would replace the whole chassis?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM

TechLoopPC is an unknown quantity at this point

I had UPS damage a large Neslab water bath chiller -- weighed about 75lb, I packed the hell out of it but somebody must have dropped it off the truck right on the corner so it was just smashed when it arrived at my customer's. UPS did end up standing behind it, I refunded my customer in full and got a check from UPS for about $700. Customer still wasn't too happy because the price they paid was a bargain and they had to buy elsewhere for a lot more.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLoopPC View Post
I had UPS damage a large Neslab water bath chiller -- weighed about 75lb, I packed the hell out of it but somebody must have dropped it off the truck right on the corner so it was just smashed when it arrived at my customer's. UPS did end up standing behind it, I refunded my customer in full and got a check from UPS for about $700. Customer still wasn't too happy because the price they paid was a bargain and they had to buy elsewhere for a lot more.
That is very similar to my situation. I looked at the pictures more closely of the box before it was opened and I saw that one of the handle holes was ripped, like they used it and it couldn't support the weight so it ripped. I'm guessing that this is how it happened and there was a reason why I hadn't punched out the hole to use, so someone else did and ripped it when they did.

The biggest lesson I learned here is that insurance isn't worth a damn if you aren't willing to re-package the item and be without it for an extended period of time. I still think they should have local adjusters like, like insurance companies, that can come out and and do a damage evaluation. I'm sure they don't make it too easy on the shippers because this way they have less claims to deal with and loose/refund less money. This is really crappy.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

It sucks.
I've learned to double box servers. Padding in between the inner and outer boxes. Server totally wrapped up and suspended in foam arms.

Looking at your pics...most likely no damage to server..I'd bend it straight with my hands and move on.

Your lesson to be learned...stuff like servers..especially large heavier objects like rack mount servers....double box them...and SERIOUSLY suspend them in foam arms/brackets/etc. When we receive shipments like these...we keep tons of that packaging stuff..just for stuff like this.