Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM

C.Quill is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Explaining to customers what on site repair is

Ok, I'm having a lot of trouble getting people to understand what on-site means

They call and ask where my shop is, I reply I do my work on-site.
They reply "what's that mean" I explain "I come to your home or office and do my work there" sometimes they still say "I don't understand" I explain "Basically, I come to your home, I fix your computer there and then I leave"

Is there any way to simplifies this so people understand?
I don't understand what's so confusing, even more so when I tell them I don't have a shop.

What do you guys say to your potential customers?

"I make housecalls" Is that better?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM

mraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the roughmraikes is a jewel in the rough

Perhaps "In-home repair" rather than on-site.

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a ukulele. And that's pretty close." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Quill View Post
Ok, I'm having a lot of trouble getting people to understand what on-site means

They call and ask where my shop is, I reply I do my work on-site.
They reply "what's that mean" I explain "I come to your home or office and do my work there" sometimes they still say "I don't understand" I explain "Basically, I come to your home, I fix your computer there and then I leave"

Is there any way to simplifies this so people understand?
I don't understand what's so confusing, even more so when I tell them I don't have a shop.

What do you guys say to your potential customers?

"I make housecalls" Is that better?
I know its a dead horse, but its worth kicking a few more times.

What is your target market and what are your rates? Is your target market poor people or wealthy? Are your rates low, average, mid-high, or expensive?

Yes, this matters. In my experience (and this has been confirmed by many business owners in all different types of businesses) those of a lower income are typically not the smartest people (or the least educated) in the world. Typically those who make more, are smarter, have more common sense and have a better overall understanding of how the world turns.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
I know its a dead horse, but its worth kicking a few more times.

What is your target market and what are your rates? Is your target market poor people or wealthy? Are your rates low, average, mid-high, or expensive?

Yes, this matters. In my experience (and this has been confirmed by many business owners in all different types of businesses) those of a lower income are typically not the smartest people (or the least educated) in the world. Typically those who make more, are smarter, have more common sense and have a better overall understanding of how the world turns.
Average price is $70-$90 an hour, some even charge a little more than that.

I don't want to be too demeaning, but a lot of the "wipe and reload" techs
charge a lot less, around $40-$60. Some are even flat rate or are even cheaper!

I charge $90 an hour, I have a full time job and I'm not trying to catch all the fish in the sea. I want the ones that will sustain my business and recognize and appreciate me as a professional.

I will probably have to make another thread for this topic, but I'm also trying to figure out how I can better sell myself in order to get less people balking at $90 an hour. They don't understand that I'm very efficient and I have even worked out methods that save me time and them money and headaches!

I was searching Technibble to see if there was any good info on selling myself before I made a pricing post.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. A couple more questions though.

How are you advertising?
How are they finding out about you?
Are you targeting mostly residential or are you trying to break into the business market?
Also, how long have you been in business?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. A couple more questions though.

How are you advertising?
How are they finding out about you?
Are you targeting mostly residential or are you trying to break into the business market?
Also, how long have you been in business?
On Google (including local listing)
Via referrals direct from a friend who quit the biz
Angie's list
And also word of mouth
-
Residential and home based biz. I don't have the time to support most
businesses due to my full time job.
-
I've been in business for 3 years.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Quill View Post
On Google (including local listing)
Via referrals direct from a friend who quit the biz
Angie's list
And also word of mouth
-
Residential and home based biz. I don't have the time to support most
businesses due to my full time job.
-
I've been in business for 3 years.
Ok, well people who find you through referrals probably know you come to their house. And since you are not targeting businesses right now, you can say safely in-house or in-home repairs opposed to on-site if thats easier to understand. With that said, when talking to a business, I would say on-sight for 2 reasons. 1, they probably know exactly what on-site means. 2, if you tell a business that you do in-house or home repairs, it makes you sound inadequate to do the job.

A good person to listen too is Chris Barre of Wisetechnician.com he is also on some podnutz shows as well.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I find this amazing. In 6 years I've never had a single person not understand what "on-site" meant. I've had some customers that aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, if you know what I mean, and the concept of on-site service has never baffled them.

I guess my thought is this....if somehow you don't know what on-site is, wouldn't you think that the opposite of on-site is off-site? I think once you put that together it should be pretty obvious?! The terms on-site and off-site are not computer repair industry related terms....they are very commonly used terms. I'm not denying you are having the problem, I'm just shocked.lol
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
I find this amazing. In 6 years I've never had a single person not understand what "on-site" meant. I've had some customers that aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, if you know what I mean, and the concept of on-site service has never baffled them.

I guess my thought is this....if somehow you don't know what on-site is, wouldn't you think that the opposite of on-site is off-site? I think once you put that together it should be pretty obvious?! The terms on-site and off-site are not computer repair industry related terms....they are very commonly used terms. I'm not denying you are having the problem, I'm just shocked.lol
Oh no, I'm not offended. My story is true though!
I couldn't figure out where I was going wrong.
I suppose PCX and mraikes are right about just saying in-home.
Although I must note that some people still say "So you mean I bring it to you?" *slaps forehead*

Why would I want them to bring it to MY house?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I'm with ya man. It really starts to make you scratch your head and wonder about the little hope we have left for humanity.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37