Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM

TechguyUK is on a distinguished road
Default Really odd issues - Samsung RV510

So I picked up an 18 month old laptop today with some really odd and apparently unrelated issues...

1. On power on, the display has no backlight. Samsung logo, boot options and Windows7 logo are there but are very hard to see, it's just as if the inverter has failed. However as it gets to the Windows logo screen if you touch the mouse/keyboard the backlight comes on and stays on as long as there is mouse/kb input. If you leave the mouse/kb alone the backlight turns off after around a minute or so of inactivity but does comes back on given further mouse/kb input. My first though was some sort of power save mode in the bios but the boot/bios screen has no backlight which is odd and unlike when in Windows, it won't brighten when the mouse/kb is used making it difficult to navigate around the bios settings, however I reset the bios to default settings but no change...got to admit i'm pretty stumped on this one.

2. When you get to the Windows 7 desktop all is well for a few minutes the i get a BSOD 0x0000003B. Same in safe mode and system restore has made no difference. Still researching the BSOD code but its not one of the usual ones. Booting to a Hirens CD causes a reboot about halfway into the loading of miniXP (and the backlight remains off).

3. DVD drive appears totally dead. It doesn't show up in Windows and won't eject, spin-up or even light it's LED. I have removed the drive but issues 1 & 2 remain.

Customer states he things the BSOD and DVD drive issue occured around the same time. I'm wondering if customer has spilt liquid on it but the keyboard seems fine (not removed it for a proper look yet though).

Any thoughts or advice very much welcome

'Making IT...work!'
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Honestly, it sounds like a motherboard issue.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Honestly, it sounds like a motherboard issue.
+1
Beat me to it............
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Agree that MB issue is likely - also this laptop afaik has an led screen not ccfl so no inverter. Anytime I've had brightness issues with these it's been the motherboard at fault.