Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 AM

mau64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Are Your Thoughts on Google Voice?

I have been going back through some of the old Podnutz Daily podcasts (I highly suggest these) and one of the guest hosts was bad talking Google Voice.

I use it for my business and have just finished my business card design but have my google voice number listed. Should I worry about using this service? What has been your experience with it and should I stick with it?

I will say so far I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet except that sometimes my phone will just text me that I missed a phone call, but where I work I don't get the greatest reception. Doesn't really matter though since they leave me a voice mail but I could be missing out on some people.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 AM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

I use Google Voice and the only problem I have had is one time for a couple hours my number had a busy signal.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Never had an issue with GV, I have a few numbers for business and personal.

If your reception is bad you don't want to miss a call, GV or not! I use the Obi100 to connect GV to my actual business phone when I'm not taking calls on my cell, and it works a treat too. Look into it and stop missing calls hehe.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Author of CryptoPrevent - Crypto/Malware prevention for any OS.

Latest free tool: dBug - Neutralize malware preventing you from running removal tools.

NEW d7II single technician pricing!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

It has worked great for me. But I also list my mobile phone # along with my google voice # on my business cards and other documents. I do it just in case of problems with google voice or if all of sudden maybe google voice is gone, then my customers still have a way to contact me still.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road

I believe I'd probably have gone out of business without google voice. In my humble opinion, GV rocks!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM

thebughunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mau64 View Post
I have been going back through some of the old Podnutz Daily podcasts (I highly suggest these) and one of the guest hosts was bad talking Google Voice.

I use it for my business and have just finished my business card design but have my google voice number listed. Should I worry about using this service? What has been your experience with it and should I stick with it?

I will say so far I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet except that sometimes my phone will just text me that I missed a phone call, but where I work I don't get the greatest reception. Doesn't really matter though since they leave me a voice mail but I could be missing out on some people.
I've been using GV happily since it came out. No problems.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

brock029 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like everyone else said, I use it and have had no problems with it. The only thing to watch out for is if you forward calls to your cell make sure the google voice voicemail picks up and not your cell phones voice mail. Because my cell phones VM picked up before my google voice VM I had to disable my VM on my cell. I contacted my carrier but they could not change the amount of time the phone rings before the VM answers.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I had problems with it for 24 hours where my phone calls just rang and rang and never went to voicemail and they never actually rang my phones. I had some unhappy customers until I figured it out. But overall it is the best Google service they offer short of maybe Maps.

However, I don't use GV in the way most do....I forward my AT&T business line to my GV number just so I can use all the voicemail options. I would NEVER in a million years trust Google to offer the GV service forever. They have way too many apps that have come and gone over the years and I would personally never give a customer my GV number because I have no guarantee that Google won't just wake up one day and say, "Sorry we are going to be shutting down GV in 30 days and sorry, we can't allow any numbers to be ported out. Thanks."

I know alot of people do it and I'm sure you will probably be ok, but probably isn't good enough for the number one business asset I have.....my phone number.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37