Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM

katz will become famous soon enough
Default Does anyone use "JustCloud"? storage?

I'm running out of HD space, even on my TB drives & have been considering cloud storage. I know, many of you have probably been doing this for years, all the companies I do business with already have my information out there, etc., but I am still leery of having my personal data in the cloud.

Looking for free options, I came across JustCloud which offers unlimited storage. Anyone here use this, or have any other recommendations?

Also, do you use more than one cloud service for redundancy in case one service would happen to lose your data, go out of business, etc.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

EDIT - Okay, the fine print got me...I guess this isn't "free" storage. I suppose it is unreasonable to think that since storage space costs money & someone has to pay for it.

Last edited by katz; 04-08-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 PM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

Just looked at the site and it looks like the first 15GB is free, but above that you have to start paying. For unlimited storage, it'll cost anywhere between $7 to $10 a month, depending on how many months in advance you want to pay. (PS: If you want a paid storage account, find the 'secret link' for a 35% discount - I thought that was a cool little way to hand out a discount)

Seriously, though? You are running out of space on multiple TB drives? I just set up a professional photographer with a single 3TB drive that was more than sufficient to backup over 4 years of professional quality photographs. Sounds like the crew from Hoarders needs to come pay your computer a visit.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM

I have years of family data backed up on multiple drives. It is a pain to constantly plug the drives in & update them, so I have been considering the cloud.

Been looking at Mediafire. They have a tier plan setup & the basic one is free for unlimited. The 200 MB maximum individual file size may be an issue...I'll deal with that. I'm not really into paying $9.99/mo. (or more) for cloud storage, which seems to be the going price.

Any other options/suggestions welcomed!

Quote:
MediaFire offers three membership options to new users. The first is a free plan which includes unlimited fast simultaneous downloads, unlimited online storage, a 200 MB maximum file size, limited long term storage, one customized folder link and file and folder sharing capabilities.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz View Post
I have years of family data backed up on multiple drives. It is a pain to constantly plug the drives in & update them, so I have been considering the cloud.

Been looking at Mediafire. They have a tier plan setup & the basic one is free for unlimited. The 200 MB maximum individual file size may be an issue...I'll deal with that. I'm not really into paying $9.99/mo. (or more) for cloud storage, which seems to be the going price.

Any other options/suggestions welcomed!
WHS v1 - Drive extender and duplication!

For home use brilliant. I use it business wise for my ISO/Tools

At moment it suits I dont need cloud yet, it sits in my attic on an old P4 and just works!

Backs up my work laptop each night, so I dont care what I plug into it I have several backups

Last edited by DCGPX; 04-08-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 AM

'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about

If you already have the gear (TB drive) then Crashplan is a good tool. Allows multiple machines to back up onto a single drive, on the same network or with an internet connection. Fully automated, backs up as files are created or modified. There are paid services, but at this level, it is completely free to use.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'putertutor View Post
If you already have the gear (TB drive) then Crashplan is a good tool. Allows multiple machines to back up onto a single drive, on the same network or with an internet connection. Fully automated, backs up as files are created or modified. There are paid services, but at this level, it is completely free to use.
I have been researching Crashplan, and it looks like a good option. Part of the problem is remembering which files you have modified or backed up, and it looks as if this program will address that issue.

"Set it & forget it", sounds like a good plan for me.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM

puzz1ed1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to puzz1ed1

I use (and now partner with) LiveDrive - they offer 2 elements, backup (does what it says) and briefcase (online storage accessible across multiple devices and protocols).

Been very happy with the product, though there are mixed views about their direct customer support.

http://puzzledworld.net/site/backup to see how we're repackaging it.

happy to extend discount to TN members
Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM

johnwaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

What about throwing your hwrd drives into a windows home server? I have seen these run many disk drives as one continuus volume.
http://www.johnwaddy.com