Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 AM

digisafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TP Link Wireless router with a TP Link Modem/Router loses internet

I have been trying to setup a TP Link Wireless N Router which is connected by ethernet cable to the Modem/router. The internet from both the modem and the router only works intermitally and sometimes requires a reboot of the modem or router or pc to reconnect. The LAN cable works fine. I have given the modem and the router separate ip addresses. Is there anything else I should be doing? This happens at a number of sites I have setup. I have easily set up single wireless modem/routers with no problems. It even happens when I use another brand of router.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Are you setting up the TP wireless router as an access point? (using the LAN connection to uplink to the existing modem/router combo (gateway) ...disable DHCP on the TP, ensure it's LAN IP is different than the LAN IP of the current gateway).

Or are you setting it up daisy chained behind the current gateway..resulting in a double NAT setup, in which case..why do you want to do double NAT? Yuck!

If I want to use my own provided router in place of the ISP supplied modem/router combo (gateway)...I always..always always...reconfigure the ISP supplied gateway to shut off its router/firewall features...turning it into just a bridged modem.....so that my own router obtains the public IP address on its WAN interface (doing the PPPoE if DSL).
Old 04-09-2012, 01:36 PM

hacknscan is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put the second router on a DMZ if the gateway has that option, but I'm not familiar with the brand you are referring to.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM

Ltsmba is an unknown quantity at this point

If the internet connection is intermittent from both the router AND modem, check the signal levels coming from the modem (usually 192.168.100.1)

Sometimes a splitter causes issues.

If it is in fact the router, obviously you can try upgrading the firmware, but 99% of the time installing dd-wrt or open wrt will fix the issue immediately if the router supports it.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

digisafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks for the replies

In New Zealand the way we treat a wireless router is the same as a switch. if we plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port of the router we get no internet, we plug the cable into one of the other ports making the router a switch. I will review the responses I have had and I appreciate the quick replies.

TP Link are my considered choice, I use to sell and install Linksys but have found the TP Link brand much easier to use.

I am thinking that the wireless is causing the problem as the LAN side works great. I'll play around abit and see what I can sort out but my networking skills are limited. Any suggestions on a good website/book on networking would be appreciated, but it has to pertain to how the internet works in New Zealand.