Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 AM

PaulRome is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
That just sounds like a really bad idea
If it was an expensive one i wouldn't, but a 7.99 Gear Head i'll take my chances.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 AM

OfficeTechs is on a distinguished road

probably best to leave out the detergent tab/powder, might be corrosive, the steam and hot water should be enough.

Water + electronics when under power are not a great idea, but on their own, why the hell not.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM

mm201 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'putertutor View Post
I heard about the 'dishwasher' trick many many years ago. One day when I ended up with a sticky keyboard, I thought I'd try it out, just for kicks and giggles. I had already planned on buying a new keyboard anyway, so I figured if I killed this one, no big deal.

I was amazed when it worked! Pretty soon I was cleaning cases, mice, pci cards, even mobo's. Once, when I couldn't figure out how to remove a sticky laptop keyboard, I just put the whole damn laptop in the dishwasher! The screen needed a cleaning too, so I just added a little extra detergent. After my magnetized hammer-drill (for those stubborn case screws) , my dishwasher is the best tech tool I have in my shop!
You might advise people that if they live in an area that has hard water they should make sure they have a water softener on their system. Otherwise you'll get a lime buildup that might require additional cleaning chemicals.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road

There is something else going on that I can't see here. I took it apart 3x and cleaned it for 3 hours total! It is only the spacebar on the right hand side. I think it was acting up before and the spill just did something. It's frustrating when it looks 100% clean but isn't acting like it is..
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeTechs View Post
probably best to leave out the detergent tab/powder, might be corrosive, the steam and hot water should be enough.

Water + electronics when under power are not a great idea, but on their own, why the hell not.
I understand that, corrosion was my main concern. Also, putting a whole laptop in a dish washer does not sound smart. Maybe I am missing something, but I do not think I will be trying this any time soon.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM

PC-MOT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Wait, so your saying that putting electronics in a dishwasher full of water is a good idea? This is news to me . . .
I suspect that he was being funny....
Old 04-08-2012, 02:48 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

This is why I bought a fully waterproof one for my desktop, especially with three kids messing on it, then I can just soak it to my hearts content .

In my house one of the neat things I've bought!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'putertutor View Post
I heard about the 'dishwasher' trick many many years ago. One day when I ended up with a sticky keyboard, I thought I'd try it out, just for kicks and giggles. I had already planned on buying a new keyboard anyway, so I figured if I killed this one, no big deal.

I was amazed when it worked! Pretty soon I was cleaning cases, mice, pci cards, even mobo's. Once, when I couldn't figure out how to remove a sticky laptop keyboard, I just put the whole damn laptop in the dishwasher! The screen needed a cleaning too, so I just added a little extra detergent. After my magnetized hammer-drill (for those stubborn case screws) , my dishwasher is the best tech tool I have in my shop!
Man, I hope you're kidding. There's no way I'd put an entire laptop into the dishwasher
Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 PM

bsil is an unknown quantity at this point

If I can't get a key to not stick after I have cleaned the heck out of it, I usually just apply some type of oil (WD40, olive, etc.) from a q-tip. Not tons, but just a bit here and there will usually stoop a spot from sticking. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough to give it a shot.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

5starpctech is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a few keyboards a few days ago. I took them apart and removed and electonic parts. Leaving the keys in place, I washed the unit in warm soapy water. I scrubed with a brush. I then rinsed the unit with just plain water. I allowes the unit to thoroughly dry before putting back together.

I feel the important thing is to make sure unit is dry before plugging back into computer. All the units I cleaned are working just fine.