Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

  Technibble Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM
bytebuster bytebuster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 401
bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody switching to iDevice support?

I have two junk iPhones on my bench right now, and I've already took apart and reassembled the 3GS. The 4 comes after I feel a little better (got sick). I figure that Apple is not going away, and the following (from CL) seems to be the competition:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sea...air&srchType=A

Half the ads are from the same shop. Considering that a couple other people have multiple ads, that's what, a half dozen shops? If you search for "laptop repair" you get DOZENS! And just reading through the ads, there are zillions of super cheap "computer repair" guys who are pitching incompetent $30 repairs. So, competing for PC repair: zillions. Competing for iPhones: a handful. I like those odds.

Why should I bang my head against the wall trying to convince the end user that the $30 guys are not the best guys to call when I can just fix iPhones? I have found that either 1) I get called after Mr. $30 has destroyed the end user's system or 2) the end users call around and end up going with the $30 guy anyway, then simply reinstall after that guy does his thing. I know that sometimes SEVERAL cheap guys have worked their "magic" before I show up, and by then the system is toast.

I know that some techs have a need/desire to make more money than iDevice fixes can bring in, but personally I'm just happy for ANY money. I've also noticed a lack of iDevice techs willing to tackle the iPhone 4. Maybe this is because junk 4's are expensive, I don't know, or hard to work on. Well, I have one, and I'm ready to tear it down. I'm not willing to go for the iPad market just yet, and iPod Touches are VERY hard to get apart (the 4 is apparently GLUED, why, Apple?). I'll stick to Phones for now. Anybody else fixing iDevices? (I don't want this to be pro- or anti-Apple, the fact is that it's an underserved market.)
__________________
ByteBuster Mobile iPhone Repair of Sacramento
Specializing in 4 Series iPhones
(916) 708-0609 9am-5pm 7 days a week
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
dgiles79's Avatar
dgiles79 dgiles79 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 491
dgiles79 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have been doing iPhones for a little while now, and it's been a very popular service. It's mainly been iPhone 4 and 4 S screens. I have also done iPod touch and iPad screens.

The iPhone 4 isn't too bad once you're familiar with it (although it does take longer than the 3). I can do an iPhone 4 screen replacement in about 45 minutes. The iPod touch and iPad take longer as they are both glued screens, but still not too bad once you're used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
bytebuster bytebuster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 401
bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgiles79 View Post
I have been doing iPhones for a little while now, and it's been a very popular service. It's mainly been iPhone 4 and 4 S screens. I have also done iPod touch and iPad screens.

The iPhone 4 isn't too bad once you're familiar with it (although it does take longer than the 3). I can do an iPhone 4 screen replacement in about 45 minutes. The iPod touch and iPad take longer as they are both glued screens, but still not too bad once you're used to it.
How is the 4S similar and different from the 4? Is it like the 3 series where there are minimal differences? How often do you encounter the Verizon CDMA version of the 4? I understand that there ARE significant differences between CDMA and GSM (AT&T, Sprint) 4's. I have a GSM on the bench. Also, how many times do end users with a 4S back out when you tell them that opening the phone nukes the warranty? A couple guys on CL are claiming that they can fix the phone without negating the warranty. (They are also claiming OEM parts. Usual CL honesty deficit. ) I don't like the idea of heat gun use right now, so no glued screens. Later I may change my mind.
__________________
ByteBuster Mobile iPhone Repair of Sacramento
Specializing in 4 Series iPhones
(916) 708-0609 9am-5pm 7 days a week
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
altrenda altrenda is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So California
Posts: 1,657
altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough
Default

You shouldn't compare yourself to Craigs list guys unless YOU are a Craigs list guy. Forget about them and their prices unless you are doing this as a hobby.

How many people do you know that actually use services from Craigs list? No one except cheapskates.

Your competition is found by Googleing iPhone repair Sacramento.

The 3s is now a free phone, and 3 generations old. Not a high margin item to fix. Learn the 4s, its selling in huge quantities.
__________________
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Sherlock Holmes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
bytebuster bytebuster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 401
bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
You shouldn't compare yourself to Craigs list guys unless YOU are a Craigs list guy. Forget about them and their prices unless you are doing this as a hobby.

How many people do you know that actually use services from Craigs list? No one except cheapskates.

Your competition is found by Googleing iPhone repair Sacramento.

The 3s is now a free phone, and 3 generations old. Not a high margin item to fix. Learn the 4s, its selling in huge quantities.
Gotcha. I resold the 4 I got-it was heavily damaged. I'm gonna put that money towards a 4 in better condition, albeit not working. I will see about buying a non-working 4s off Ebay. And yes, I will do some googling.
__________________
ByteBuster Mobile iPhone Repair of Sacramento
Specializing in 4 Series iPhones
(916) 708-0609 9am-5pm 7 days a week
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
dgiles79's Avatar
dgiles79 dgiles79 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 491
dgiles79 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post
How is the 4S similar and different from the 4? Is it like the 3 series where there are minimal differences? How often do you encounter the Verizon CDMA version of the 4? I understand that there ARE significant differences between CDMA and GSM (AT&T, Sprint) 4's. I have a GSM on the bench. Also, how many times do end users with a 4S back out when you tell them that opening the phone nukes the warranty? A couple guys on CL are claiming that they can fix the phone without negating the warranty. (They are also claiming OEM parts. Usual CL honesty deficit. ) I don't like the idea of heat gun use right now, so no glued screens. Later I may change my mind.
The 4S is almost exactly the same as the CDMA iPhone 4. The CDMA IPhone 4 has more screws to remove than the GSM version, so it does take a little longer, but the basic principal is the same. If you can do one, you shouldn't have trouble figuring out the other.

I haven't had anyone back out, as they don't have much choice, unless they want to pay apple's out of warranty price.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
bytebuster bytebuster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 401
bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks guys. My competition looks like about 6-8 shops. Lots of mail-order iPhone fixers in the results. Prices for 4 Series screen replacements range from ~$100-140. I am thinking of specializing in 4 Series phones, since that seems to be where the money is.
__________________
ByteBuster Mobile iPhone Repair of Sacramento
Specializing in 4 Series iPhones
(916) 708-0609 9am-5pm 7 days a week
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM
bwhatley87 bwhatley87 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 76
bwhatley87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Where are you all finding parts? Is there a decent vendor that we can rely on?
__________________
--
Benjamin Whatley
ByteSmart Computers

http://www.fixmycomputernow.us/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM
bytebuster bytebuster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 401
bytebuster is on a distinguished road
Default

http://www.wholesalegadgetparts.com/

http://www.texasgadgetparts.com/

Two sites that have been posted by other TN users. Wholesale Gadget Parts will probably be the one I'll use.
__________________
ByteBuster Mobile iPhone Repair of Sacramento
Specializing in 4 Series iPhones
(916) 708-0609 9am-5pm 7 days a week
http://www.bytebustermcr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:45 AM
'putertutor's Avatar
'putertutor 'putertutor is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 955
'putertutor has a spectacular aura about'putertutor has a spectacular aura about
Default

I've done a couple of screens and batteries for friends, mostly following the iFixit guides. I'm not yet comfortable enough to advertise it yet, though.

I'd like to know what additional sources there are for repairing mobile products, if anyone knows of good places outside of iFixit and podnutz, I'd love to see a link.
__________________
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
Niels Bohr
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technibble.com is based out of MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.