Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM

computerSolution is an unknown quantity at this point
Default more lcd troubleshooting questions...

Okay-- I followed the post a couple weeks ago and am glad for the info. I need to clarify some things, because the inverter board doesn't seem to be the issue:

laptop lcd works fine for a FEW minutes, then screen goes blank
I can see the backlight come on and stay on, just nothing on the display

Since screen picture works fine (for a minute) I assumed the screen HAS to be good. Could it be that the screen itself is bad and not the backlight or inverter?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Have you tried another screen and confirmed that it does not go dim after a few minutes?

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM

computerSolution is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:

Thank you for your quick reply. I don't have a compatible lcd to test but I did hook up an external monitor to verify that everything else is working, and it works fine. When I toggle back and forth between screens and see the backlight go off and come on, just no pixel display on the onboard screen.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerSolution View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. I don't have a compatible lcd to test but I did hook up an external monitor to verify that everything else is working, and it works fine. When I toggle back and forth between screens and see the backlight go off and come on, just no pixel display on the onboard screen.
Doing as PCX advised is really the only way to be sure. I have an LED/CCFL tester and even that is not 100% (still very handy though).
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

CNS is an unknown quantity at this point

IF an externam monitor works, then you are looking a a monitor issue, the graphics card is displaying proplery.

What I recommend is to look at the cables within the screen, ensure none are pinched or shorted. Also, if you see that the back light of the monitor is dimming, you may be looking at a inverter issue.

Basically, if you are receiving intermittent displays on your monitor, its probably not the screen, but the inverter going bad. This however, is just a speculation.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNS View Post
IF an externam monitor works, then you are looking a a monitor issue, the graphics card is displaying proplery.

What I recommend is to look at the cables within the screen, ensure none are pinched or shorted. Also, if you see that the back light of the monitor is dimming, you may be looking at a inverter issue.

Basically, if you are receiving intermittent displays on your monitor, its probably not the screen, but the inverter going bad. This however, is just a speculation.
Probably . . . but just because it displays fine on an external monitor does not mean there is not an issue with the motherboard. The only way to really know is to swap out another screen AND check the cable. Chances are though, if it displays fine for a few minutes, then stops working, then its either the screen or motherboard. If it were a bad cable, it would be probably be intermittent and or would display differently if you move the screen or cable. It would not just work and then stop working.

Consider keeping a few screens in stock or in the very least saving screens from computers that customers are not repairing. The other option is to purchase broken laptops and if you are not going to refurbish and sell it, then save the parts for troubleshooting computers like this.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"