Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Larry Sabo has a spectacular aura aboutLarry Sabo has a spectacular aura about
Default Utility to list/remove orphaned Program Files folders?

Many systems have orphaned Program Files and AppData folders that beg to be removed when recycling or cleaning up a system. Anyone know of a utility to identify them, e.g. list and optionally remove all Program Files folders for which there is no entry in Add/Remove Programs? Would be nice if it could also clean out related AppData folders.

Revo Uninstaller makes it easy to clean up unwanted programs and their residuals, but it requires that the programs be installed. I'm talking about programs that have been uninstalled. Somebody cue Nick!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM

dannyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sabo View Post
Many systems have orphaned Program Files and AppData folders that beg to be removed when recycling or cleaning up a system. Anyone know of a utility to identify them, e.g. list and optionally remove all Program Files folders for which there is no entry in Add/Remove Programs? Would be nice if it could also clean out related AppData folders.

Revo Uninstaller makes it easy to clean up unwanted programs and their residuals, but it requires that the programs be installed. I'm talking about programs that have been uninstalled. Somebody cue Nick!
I Usually do this manually as many programs claim to remove all junk files and folders, but you can usually still find more doing the work manually.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Should be an easy task to compare folders in program files to their respective add/remove programs entries and push out the orphans with an option to delete.

Won't be so easy with Appdata folders as these aren't defined by installer apps in the registry, usually in the programs themselves. That part might not be so doable...

I have one concern however, the possibility of a program "installing" to program files but not using an official installer method that puts an entry in add/remove programs...

Let me run some experiments and see what I come up with... (as time allows)

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Check out my videos on using various Foolish IT software.

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Also check out My Network Boot Setup details, and the comment thread.
Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM

@dannyd: Yeah, me too, but there has to be a faster way. Doing it manually also doesn't tell you whether the program is still installed. I'd like something t6hat makes quick work of the task and doesn't bork an installed program. Thanks for the reply, nevertheless.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM

FoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the roughFoolishTech is a jewel in the rough

Larry, got a rough draft attached.
  • It does Program Files only, no AppData yet (not sure how to approach that to be honest.)
  • Note this will probably show a few Windows built-in programs in the list, I tried to weed them all out for WinXP but Vista/7 may show some; but you can easily weed those out by sight because you should know what Windows puts there, I hope!
  • Also, I already confirmed I have one app on my system that is in fact installed by a legacy installer that doesn't put uninstall information in the Windows registry, so it shows up in the list but it is definitely an installed program!!! So be sure to use with CARE and CAUTION!
  • EDIT: One more thing, I don't have it ready for 64bit versions of Windows yet. Thought I did, but just tested and there's a bug in there somewhere so all 32bit apps installed show up in the list. Working on it...

EDIT AGAIN: Removed attachment, see my next post down for a current draft, fixed for x64 OSes.

Author of d7 & d7II, and TONS of other FREE PC technician's tools. www.FoolishIT.com

Latest free tool: CryptoPrevent - Cryptolocker prevention for any OS. Current Version: 4.3.2

Boot diag CDs over the network / deploy Windows installs with updates, drivers, and pre-installed apps in minutes!

Last edited by FoolishTech; 04-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks, Nick! Will give it a try and post results.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Ok, got the 64 bit issues sorted, and file is attached....

Let me know if this works ok and I can add to a new D7 version...

EDIT: attached a newer draft with a few new features. When clicking on a directory in the results list, it identifies the dir size and whether it contains EXEs and/or DLLs, and also gives you the option to open the directory in Explorer.

EDIT AGAIN: Added this feature to the Maintenance tab (under Not Automated) in D7 v5.8.4 uploading now... All future updates to this code will likely be through D7 only, but I will leave the original attached to this post for reference/stand-alone usage.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OrphanFinderPF.zip (77.6 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by FoolishTech; 04-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.