Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM

numnutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default backup software

Besides the built in time machine as anyone used any other third party program like SuperDuper or Chronosync? anyone have a preference? thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Carbon Copy Cloner is very popular and functional. Many Mac users had used it before Time Machine and have stuck with it even after Time Machine was introduced with OS10.5. Especially since after Time Machine was released CCC was able to keep up by bringing greater functionality equal to Time Machine while keeping the software free. I use Time Machine personally since we have OSX server running our backups in the office. But I'm not saying one is greater than the other. They all work well, mostly because OSX works well and seamlessly for back up and restoral purposes.

Last edited by anonymous Mac Tech; 04-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM

newton is an unknown quantity at this point

As anonymous Mac Tech says, CCC is popular and has a few extra features such as bootable backups and email notifications that TM doesn't have. I would normally prefer TM for boot disks as it's good for migrating or restoring user accounts when upgrading to a new Mac or replacing disks. I would lean towards CCC for backup of systems with multiple drives, such as Photoshop/audio/video data etc. Swings and roundabouts I suppose!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM

sal13 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 for CCC. Can't beat a bootable backup, Time machine has its place, especially for migration, but why not have an exact duplicate you can boot and clone back in the worst case. You can even clone your existing system and use it as a diagnostic drive.

-Sal
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM

300DDR will become famous soon enough

+1 for CCC again, plus it's FREE! But, you should buy it if you use it often. I use CCC and SuperDuper to backup my main mac to two separate external drives at work (one SSD, one HDD) + Time Machine when I get home.