Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 AM

ell will become famous soon enough
Angry Vostro hangs on vista reinstall

I'm pulling my hair out on this one! Its a dell vostro 220s with 3gb ram dual core, total mess with viruses, spent all night cleaning it, ran full hardware diags too. Anyways decided we'd nuke & pave and reload vista. Ofcourse the dvd drive won't recognize anything, so I thought I 'd pull out my usb dvd drive, it boots but hangs on the "please wait" blue screen indefinitely, tried another disk, same, made a vista install on usb drive, give nothing but a blinking cursor, WTF?? I originally tried to put a vista image on it but the image failed verification, so maybe acronis did something to the drive? I went into easus and repartitioned it, still hangs on installs, blue light is on solid, not blinking showing the drive is doing something but nothing even after 45 minutes, just cursor and blue background. Hirens works fine though.

Last edited by ell; 04-01-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 AM

Cornerstone Technologies will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Cornerstone Technologies

I know this might sound odd, but did you check memory? Also, I would try A different keyboard and mouse.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Technologies View Post
I know this might sound odd, but did you check memory? Also, I would try A different keyboard and mouse.
I ran a full system diagnosis scan which includes memory tests before doing any removals, etc. It can came through fine, yes it seems like something like that, but when I was in safe mode and in hirens it ran fine, weird. I tried again booting from my usb dvd drive, its been 3 hours and I just got to the window where I select the drive to install to, guess I see where its at in the morning, Why would you say keyboard or mouse?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up

Partially solved:
I read where disabling the floppy drive in the bios can cause this issue, well I ran down and checked, blah, no floppy settings in my bios, but I did see I could toggle my sata drive settings from ahci to ata to raid, I switched mine from ahci to ata and TA-DA! the install whipped right through even from my usb dvd drive! BUT, the install went fine but now the dvd drive is not recognized ofcourse, I went back into the bios and it shows bit with some gibberish issue, I switched back to ahci mode and ofcourse windows won't boot but the dvd is fine in the bios, no what? I had trouble booting from the internal dvd in ahci mode to begin with so maybe its not just the bios setting???

Last edited by ell; 04-03-2012 at 01:13 AM.