Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Tekguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
LOL! Totally agree.

On a personal opinion level, use whatever browser you want, but IE9 (for me) is the most poorly designed, poorly laid out and least user friendly browser available. The horrible, huge tab on top design, the small home, back, forward etc buttons, no separate search box, all the menus and text hidden by default..... It might not seem like a huge deal once you get used to it, but it's not user friendly and not easily understood by my "average computer user" customers.

IE 7 and 8....while I wasn't a user, I do not mind them at all.
Exactly. What really pisses me off is that I've hidden the IE9 update on multiple computers & I got 2 calls within the last couple weeks from people that magically had their computer updated to IE9 & had no idea how to use it. Why does Microsoft do this? If I hide an update it's because I don't want to install it, not because I'm on the fence & I'll somehow change my mind a year later.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekguy View Post
Exactly. What really pisses me off is that I've hidden the IE9 update on multiple computers & I got 2 calls within the last couple weeks from people that magically had their computer updated to IE9 & had no idea how to use it. Why does Microsoft do this? If I hide an update it's because I don't want to install it, not because I'm on the fence & I'll somehow change my mind a year later.
Same exact thing happened here. I've got a travel agency that uses online applications to quote prices, make reservations etc. IE9 is not supported and supposedly one or two of these companies said they won't support IE9. They can use IE8, FF or Chrome but not IE9. The update is hidden but 2 weeks ago 2 of their machines magically updated to IE9 over night?
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 AM

Coldbrook Computer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IE9 broke our screen readers

I do a lot of work for the State with the blind and low vision. We use 3rd party screen readers and screen magnification software.

The update to IE9 has broken several features in one of the screen readers we use. We are still waiting for a screen reader patch. We have been rolling back to IE8 on all computers that we come across. I then run this tool to block the deployment of IE9 at future updates. I have not had any issues with it.

Brendan

microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=179
Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 AM

alluseridsrejected is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not install IE9 on computers because I think the no separate search bar will be confusing to users and do not want to get calls about it.

The other thing I do not like is the new "This file is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer" error messages that make files look like they are a virus to uneducated users just because they have not been downloaded by millions of other people.

Those messages are probably really upsetting small software vendors!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Kiran is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Kiran

The biggest things I've bumped into is that it breaks many web-based business softwares. I have also seen it break even more common (on a fresh windows install) things such as Facebook, and even MSN.com (the default homepage). The only fixes we have found for these of course, are rolling back the browser to IE8.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM

glricht has a spectacular aura aboutglricht has a spectacular aura about

The only problem we've encountered with IE9 is it's insistence that most of the bars are turned off by default, even when upgrading from IE 7/8.

Had quite a few calls about the menu bar, favorites, command and status bar no longer showing.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM

AlaDes is on the way

One issue I have with it is the compatibility button. I have a secure site that I log into on a daily basis and can only use IE (doesn't matter which version). If I forget to click the compatibility button before logging into the site and try to perform a sale, I can't do it because some of the menus are greyed out. I then have to click the compatibility button, log in again, and retype all the info again, which is very frustrating to say the least. Is there a way to just enable the compatibility option all the time, or will I just have to roll in back?