Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Website Development & SEO

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 AM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yell.com dodgy sales?

Hi.

I was not against having an advert in Yell.com, so when I got a salesman calling me then he should have had an easy sell.
Alarm bells started ringing when I was told that Yell & Google work in a "close partnership" and that by taking out an advert on Yell would seriously increase my google placing. (I am top of page 2 for the relevant searches, with only 4 results on page 1 due to the number of places)
Anyway, I playd dumb (wasn't hard) and negotiated them down from 20/month to 4.40/month.

The next day I received two more calls from Yell trying to upgrade my account which I refused. In fact I ended up disconnecting the calls as I was with clients both times and they refused to listen to me when I told them I was busy.

Day 3, I receive yet another call from Yell, this time trying to sell me a video for my Yell advert, I don't want one. I was then told that they had inside knowledge from google and that any sites without a video won't appear in google at all in 6 months time. I still say I don't want one, and disconnect the call.

Day 4, I get 3 more calls trying to sell me the video package. I tell them to remove my number from their list, never to contact me again and to remove my advertisement. I then get 1 more call asking what the problem is......

Overly aggressive sales just cost them a client, maybe more as I will certainly be telling other my experiences with them.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Similar thing a couple of years ago. I had a free entry in the Yell.com and got a call shortly after placing it trying to pressure me to take on more. He said I'll send you some details bearing in mind I was only asking for details. Within minutes I got an email with a contract and the details of the email was that if I replied I was accepting the contract. I did nothing but got a call a little while later trying more pressure. They eventually got the message.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 PM

Patch22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got called by Yell.com in December of last year. Also played along and gave them a chance and am trying out their online listing with what they call a heavyweight listing. The sales guy actually promised me I would rank higher on Yell.com than specific competitors for local keywords. It came as no surprise that when the listing went live I come in around number 11 (which is fairly useless). Companies who are not even in the immediate local area seem to rank higher than me because they have also purchased a heavyweight listing, probably at a higher price....So I thought I'd stick out the 10 month contract and see how things go over time (and also try and optimise my listing). This month, Yell managed to withdraw almost 10,000 from my business account because of a glitch with their direct debit system! Luckily we checked the account and caught this, and our bank was able to reverse the transaction before the money actually left the account! Still, the moment of sickening, blind panic it created wasn't the greatest!

So all in all, Yell.com haven't really delivered for my small computer repair business so far!! I wouldn't recommend them. Stick with free online listings and optimising your site for local people to find you, something the bigger companies just can't do.