Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM

jogold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default business software

Here again for some advice
I am looking for free software (or very inexpensive) to keep track of my computer business.
Right now we use an excel sheet on google docs that gets updated by each of us each night and one guy goes over it to do the billing.
As you can imagine its not easy for him to do.
the headers are
Date|Ctrl|Client|In|Out|Time|Hardware|Software|Com ments|Pd|Still Owes|RANT
Hardware means anything that goes bump in the night including software bought online and downloaded.
Software means what the tech did
and RANT is self explanatory (actually it gets quite funny and sometimes graphic, highly recommended for all all tech support people)

This is less for financial and more for knowing what everyone did for which client and where all the Hardware went, stock control verses client management, what been done and what needs to be done, whats left and whats missing......
Anyone know of anything?

Thanks

Last edited by jogold; 03-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

cprompt is on a distinguished road

If you do a search of the forums, you will find this discussed many times, with various programs recommended. Granted, they are not generally free, but there are several out there that are reasonably priced.

Personally we switched to PCRT a few months ago, and I am very pleased with what it does. It has allowed us to much more readily keep track of the machines that come in and out and what we have done, plus handling the billing.

Do some searching around the forums and you'll find lots of information.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM

ITinMIND is an unknown quantity at this point

More info on PCRT here: http://www.pcrepairtracker.com/

itinmind.ca
contact@itinmind.ca
+1 888-415-6615
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Ralara is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogold View Post
and RANT is self explanatory (actually it gets quite funny and sometimes graphic, highly recommended for all all tech support people)
Hi

I'd be careful here - customers in some countries (UK, in my case) can request any/all information held about them from a company under the data protection act...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM

thebughunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here again for some advice
I am looking for free software (or very inexpensive) to keep track of my computer business.
Right now we use an excel sheet on google docs that gets updated by each of us each night and one guy goes over it to do the billing.
As you can imagine its not easy for him to do.
the headers are
Thanks
What works for me currently is PCRT (Operations) and Freshbooks (Billing).
Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

PCRT it will save you money and time in the end so pay up

You can demo it on the site linked above
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

hacknscan is an unknown quantity at this point

We are currently using Mhelpdesk with some added custom fields to fill any gaps. It works well since it has a mobile app for smartphones that allows our techs in the field to manage jobs and status's easily.

So Mhelpdesk for managing customers, jobs, equipment, quotes, invoicing, billing, etc.

Intuit Gopayment for CC processing

and all of them work good with quickbooks to make the accountant happy at tax time. All web based so I can spend a little more time at home when I can.

Also to manage large jobs we use OpenAtrium which is a good free Basecamp alternative.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

you want cheap so I assume you are small but you have several people putting information in over the web so I'm thinking complicated.....

I have run for 20 years and many employees....

What I can tell you that is simple and cheap is this:

It was revolutionary for us when we moved from just using Quickbooks pro to using NEBS new England business systems or forms. (purchased by Delux check). We have several consultants who go on site and do normal network type consulting, we also have senior techs how go out to homes and small offices for repairs and then we have carry in shops with normal break fix repairs. This same form works well for all our categories.

By requiring a serialized form it helps with theft and moonlighting issues, it also make organizing data easier as well as transferring the needed information between the phone contact, the tech or consultant and back to management and billing.

We use a contractor 4 part, invoice with hard manila copy for our permanent record. They have a receipt ticket on them so you can give copy to client at drop off or pickup as the case may be. Then you have all contact information on the form and can add notes and authorizations as you communicate and progress through the job. We use the full page size so there are plenty of lines for both labor, notes, part list and subtotals. Then total the tax at the bottom and there is even a payment agreement/contract on the reverse side that the customer can sign if you think you need that extra help to later collect. It adds your ability to not only collect what is owed but also collection fees so if you turn it over to an attorney that is the only legal way you can add his costs to the collection in most states. Otherwise the attorneys fees come out of your total.

You can order the forms with serialized numbers and you order several batches for different classes. For example when we had several stores we had a W1001 for west store and a E1001 east store and a S1001 south store. This made entering them and classify them in quick books after the fact, easier.

Options for billing are: present the white copy invoice for immediate payment or give it to them for net 10 payment from that document. or send it back to the billing person to send a computerized printed quickbooks invoice for collection. Or take the invoice back to the office for the final inspection by the manager owner and he can send it out when his approval. So we have used it both with and without a computerized backup invoicing system. If you can read the techs handwriting there is no reason you cannot use the form as it is.

What we do is put a copy of the invoice in each of our on going customer files (folders on the shelf) and we also put a copy in the month to month chronological order of all invoices.

This does everything I can think of that I need. The only wish list that I have, is to some day move to an online system where I can easily post the status of the system for my client to watch online; email them automatically when the work is done or status changes; where I can logon and see what is in each que for each location as well as notes, bottlenecks and such.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM

jogold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, thanks but we are a two man company, me more in the field (i should take danger pay for that) and my partner more in the office (got himself a nice chair)
I need to keep him updated which i do via filling out a sheet on google docs (the format is mentioned in the original question)
had i known a little access i would do it myself.
the programs suggested here are overkill for us.
KISS please. (emphasis on the stupid)
thx
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Tekko will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks but we are a two man company, me more in the field (i should take danger pay for that) and my partner more in the office (got himself a nice chair)
I need to keep him updated which i do via filling out a sheet on google docs (the format is mentioned in the original question)
had i known a little access i would do it myself.
the programs suggested here are overkill for us.
KISS please. (emphasis on the stupid)
thx
Check this out, its free and shouldn't be overkill while still allowing you to do what you need to do.
Edit: Meant to link this site: http://myitcrm.com/

Last edited by Tekko; 04-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.