Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road
Default Apple burned out NICs

I just got a call where a graphic artist had a lightning strike that came in through her Verizon DSL line. it burned out the router/modem, and it appears, two NICs in Apple A1311 computers. She does not want wireless(too slow and it gets interference from the local ISP), and I would prefer not to use USB to Ethernet adapters. Replacing the logic boards is cost prohibitive.(and I don't like working on Apple hardware.) ($400 for the boards, atleast $200 for install)

Am I overlooking anything? They are out of Warranty so that is also not an option

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with these so just throwing this out. Do they not have the option to add another nic like a pci card?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 PM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point

It might be worth taking it to an Apple store anyway, they have been know to fix out of warrenty items for free or low cost before.
I took my 3 year old ipod to them after i dropped it and the headphone socket broke and got a replacement for free
Old 03-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaters Kustum Machines View Post
I have no experience with these so just throwing this out. Do they not have the option to add another nic like a pci card?
Hah, I wish! These are the ALL_IN_ONE style systems that look like thick LCD monitors. It is not a standard desktop...

Thanks though!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Don't want to replace the Logic Board.
Don't want USB Ethernet adapters.
Not many options left.

What would you do on a small form factor PC with no open slots?

All you can do is present the 2 options to the client, or send her somewhere else.

".(and I don't like working on Apple hardware.)"
I hate working on HP's, but if someone wants to pay me to do it....
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM

Thanks for your help. The nearest Apple store is a three hour drive and these are the two primary computers at this business. altrenda, your right, I am being picky, I just wanted to know if I was overlooking something.

I will end up using Apple branded USB NICs.

As far as working on Apple hardware, I will gladly do it, I would just rather solve the issue some other way if the other way is just as good. Realistically, does anyone truly enjoy working on Apple Hardware?

Last edited by Rob_NNCC; 03-24-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Nothing real magical about Macs, they work the same as Windows machines, with slightly different terminology. I think of working on Macs the same as laptops. Everything is packed into a compact space and not designed to be easily serviced. You just need proper tools and patience.

I just replaced an optical drive on a similar iMac to the ones you described. Suction cups to remove the front glass, 8 screws to remove the LCD panel, disconnect the cables to the LCD, move a few more cables out of the way and remove the optical drive.

The kicker is that a new replacement drive is over $200. I was lucky to find a refurbished drive with a guarantee for under $100.

Still, I'd rather work on a Mac than a cheaply made, poorly designed HP, where after you fixed the problem, you never know what else will break before you get it back together. The combination of HP and Vista did more to sell Macs than anything Apple did.

But, I still prefer using a well running Windows 7 machine to anything else.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM

bsil is an unknown quantity at this point

cedarpc.com has some of those older style iMac refurbs. Maybe you can figure out her model, and score the same thing for short money, then just transfer her stuff over to the refurb. Much less work that replacing boards. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 AM

thanks Bsil, I looked in to calling John, but I checked online first and they no longer had any at the time. The customer is a bit of a pain too. She found they are still under warranty, so she is going to call Apple.
My new question is, how can Apple get her business computers back up and running quickly. They would have to A. Repair the existing computers, or B. give her new ones then transfer her data. Again, the nearest apple store is about 2.5 hours away. I think I am going to get a call back to install some USB NICs.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 AM

Patch22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
Nothing real magical about Macs, they work the same as Windows machines, with slightly different terminology. I think of working on Macs the same as laptops. Everything is packed into a compact space and not designed to be easily serviced. You just need proper tools and patience.

I just replaced an optical drive on a similar iMac to the ones you described. Suction cups to remove the front glass, 8 screws to remove the LCD panel, disconnect the cables to the LCD, move a few more cables out of the way and remove the optical drive.

The kicker is that a new replacement drive is over $200. I was lucky to find a refurbished drive with a guarantee for under $100.

Still, I'd rather work on a Mac than a cheaply made, poorly designed HP, where after you fixed the problem, you never know what else will break before you get it back together. The combination of HP and Vista did more to sell Macs than anything Apple did.

But, I still prefer using a well running Windows 7 machine to anything else.
The part about HP all-in-one machines and Vista made me laugh Nice post...I agree with your views on working with Mac hardware..all crammed into a tight space.. but with a little patience it can be quite rewarding. I just had to replace an inverter on a Macbook. The only way I could get the plastic inverter cover off (without breaking plastic clips) was by dismantling almost the entire machine..nice one Apple!! Good experience though, and makes me a better hardware tech. as a result.