Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM

scovilletech is on a distinguished road
Default How to charge for consultation

What is a good/fair way to charge for consultation? I have a business customer who I did some work for. She called today with viruses. She is pretty tech savvy, so I was able to help/advise her over the phone for about 30 minutes. Any thoughts?
Computer Repair Macon
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

I'd take your on-site rate (eg. $80), reduce it for not needing to travel/use gas (e.g. -$20), and charge for the half-hour ($30).

I don't mind spending a few minutes on the phone with someone but, generally, after 10 minutes I warn them that I'll need to start the clock.

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:59 AM

Sounds good. My onsite is $85 and offsite is $60. I was thinking around $30 or so. Just haven't done this before.
Computer Repair Macon
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 AM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

One thing to consider is whether or not they knew they were on the clock. You might find yourself eating the loss for the sake of keeping a good customer (we all do it from time to time) but educating her that your time is your lifeblood.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Absolutely! In this case, she suggeated that I charge for consulting. I was just helping her out since yesterday was impossible for me to get up there and she is tech savvy enough to handle things. She even told me that she didn't want me to think that she was taking advantage of my knowledge.
Computer Repair Macon
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

I'd still without question charge for that kind of time...
Our minimum charge for an onsite is 1 hour at 125/hour for basic break/fix...higher rates for higher skillset stuff (active directory stuff, etc). Plus 1x way travel time. But for remote calls/remote support/phone support...drops to 100/hour, and we'll do 30 minute minimum charge.

They are still using your services...you dedicated 30 minutes of your time to her (plus if you used your cell phone..ate at your monthly plan..gotta cover that).