Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Linux made easy for non-techies - Webmin interface!!

I had only used Webmin minimally in the past and for some reason I thought that it was only for administration of Squid and other network programs but boy was I wrong! It seems that almost everything can be done through this interface including browsing what modules are not installed. This will give any Windows user a good way to transition from the MS GUI to a Linux world where they can learn the OS a little at a time.

I'm posting this because I just made a post about making Linux routers/proxies for customers and I'm guessing a lot of people might be scared away from doing this because of the learning curve of Linux. With Webmin administering Linux can be a lot easier.

Here are some screen shots of Webmin that shows the different menus available through web administration.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 PM

arringtondla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Webmin

Before I had any real on the job Linux experience, several years ago we used Webmin to manage Samba. It helped me figure out/see all the parts of how Samba worked since setting up and managing the config files was slightly confusing, since it's on a number of servers with multiple shares each (if you didn't have enough experience with CLI's or if one didn't understand Linux user/group rights and file access permissions). But yes, this could help a little as one transitions into Linux from Windows; for both home users or Windows admins alike. Of course, it might be much better to jump in and learn Linux via CLI since one can see how all the parts come together as well. Yeah, Webmin is pretty cool though.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Bigj is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned CLI first and then played with webmin and other gui front end stuff to see the crap that I had no idea existed. Then I went back in with the CLI and hack and slashed through the new features I found :P

Getting efficient with command line is a must imo. Once your a CL ninja dive into the /sys/ folder, or /sys/block/ the amount of raw information you can view in realtime is..... mind-melting

P.S - of course things like webmin have there place. For remote management and monitoring they are almost a must have.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Painless is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had to start learning Linux in a hurry. ( My son is expert at Linux in command prompt but has found himself a better paying job.)

I have just spent the last couple of days reconfiguring my Linux server from scratch and Webmin was a great help but I still needed to use Putty. It is more likely to succeed or give useful error messages if the command is complex or 'ify'.

Still its quite a sense of achievement to have got this far with the job (even if the server isn't quite working the way I want it yet).