Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotzTech View Post
It's worth noting that you can only replace the MB with the make/model or equivalent (I.E. Not an upgrade). Upgrading the MB makes the system a new computer in the terms of Microsoft licensing. This only applies to OEM licensing.

From the Microsoft Licensing FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/lice..._faq.aspx#faq3

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.
My understanding is that if the manufacturer no longer supplies the board, you can change it and still be within MS licensing.

I asked a MS rep about this and they agreed. Doesnt matter if board can be sourced elewhere, as long as manufacturer officially says board no longer available from them you can change it.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM

DCGPX is on a distinguished road

Going back to OP question though, cant you 'inject' drivers by booting to PE and copying files to the windows driver folder? crude but I have done it in the past just get up and running so I can then install correct drivers. I usually start in safe when doing this though
Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 PM

MotzTech has a spectacular aura aboutMotzTech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmobile View Post
MS wouldn't find out and as they let you activate windows after the swap they aren't that strict on it.
Ok, I was gonna just leave this thread be, but I have to respond to this. That is the same logic that software pirates use to justify stealing software. I mean you could pirate a copy of windows and they are not going to knock down your door, so it must be alright? Personally I would rather lose a job because I was honest about the situation then get one by BSing. In this type of case I would just contact Microsoft and ask them directly, but if they said no go, I would stick to that.

I probably will not be returning to this thread as I don't want to completely hijack it.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Can we close this thread and mark it as solved? I already found my answer. Thanks compnet and foolishit.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"