Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM

hondablaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hondablaster
Default SSL certs, DNS and Dyn.org issues. Seeking a home based alternative.

I have been trying to get my free dyn.org working for http:\\startssl.com for a few hours now. Just to find out that I possibly I cannot use any SSL certs on my *****.dyndns-free.com address.

I have a complete VDI infrastructure ready to go and have been troubleshooting why it does not work from the public internet and everything points to the self signed certificates. (Citrix VPX is possibly rejecting them) I really want to see this lab to the end so I need to bridge these gaps.

I am ready to spend some money, are there any dyndns.com like solutions where I can have my own domain for example www.myhomeLAB.com but will work with COX home internet. Also any solutions need to be able to take 3rd party SSL certificates. startssl or geotrust or digicert.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 AM

Hopefully simplifying my request will work.

1. I would like a domain [url]www.mytestsite.com to point to my COX internet.

2. I would like to buy SSL certificates and use them on my home site.

My Citrix test labs require it and I cannot move forward until I figure this out and the web is vague on this. I would think as long as my COX IP does not change I am O.K.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

If this is strictly for testing, why not setup your own Certificate Server. Then add the Server to the client.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:07 AM

Unfortunately there are many issues with the Citrix Access Gateway and I need a valid root CA and chains to work without a hitch.

Self Signed will not work and I have spent so much time on this project that creating my own trusted root CA and doing the all the importing to the systems that will play external test users will make my head hurt.

I am almost there.

Thank you and thanks for any replies.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 AM

Solved.

I bought a domain and service from dyn.com turns out they have many services that allow me to have a domain and point it to my home IP.

Quite flexible and changes are instant. The free service I cannot use SSL but with a paid service and a real domain name that I own I am able to secure the Citrix site and pass along machines through a proper 443 connection.

Whole thing cost less than $50 and its allegedly compatible with my home router just like the free service.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Good find that. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM

More info after tinkering.

Yeah the free service is cool. But now that I am playing their paid service and a real domain I wish I did it long long ago. Its a pain the butt to explain to someone "no no its my-example.dyndns-free.com, try it again"

I am also confirming %100 that a standard router updates the IP perfectly all you really do is delete the *****.dyn-domain.com and replace it with the domain you purchased. IP Updates take hold immediately. I didn't even have to change my login from the free one I used to use.

I just had my first coworkers connect using www.example.com seamlessly. The coolest part is the service lets you create up to 75 sub domains and you can delete and create names on the fly.

For example I also have. gateway.example.com and testing.example.com for two other sites I RDP/FTP into for testing purposes.

If you guys are tired of the the long sub domain the free service offers its worth a look.

Thanks