Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 PM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road
Question How to I copyright or protect pictures I took and placed on the web?

I have some pics I want to publish but I'd like to reserve the rights of the photo. Does anyone here know the legal aspects of doing this and how I should mark the pictures?

Here is the site if anyone wants to look at it. It's nature shots, very beautiful!
Wooded Water Paradise

Last edited by tankman1989; 03-19-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: forgot site link
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

no link, but all I can think you can do it put a watermark on them. As long as you have the original files (even on a dvd) you can prove you took them then that is all that is needed in the UK but don't know about anywhere else.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Paul Rodgers will become famous soon enough

If I remember correctly all creative works in the US automatically gain copyright protection upon creation.

- Put a copyright notice on your website and state that unauthorized reproduction without your written consent is prohibited
- As mentioned above watermarks will work
- Since you are in the US you can utilize the DMCA
- Disable hotlinking to the pictures
- You could utilize flash to make it harder to download the images - there may be an easier way to do that though
- You can find similar images through Google image search - I think there are dedicated websites for this though

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 AM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

One word: Steganography

Attached file's password: technibble
Decrypt here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dp52884_coversecret.jpg (18.3 KB, 78 views)

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 AM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

To be honest, the minute they hit the web they are out of your control and impossible to keep from being used without your consent. In the US, just taking the photos makes you the copyright holder, however, actually preventing someone from taking them and using them as they please is near impossible.

http://www.photosecrets.com/photography-law-copyright
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 AM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleby View Post
preventing someone from taking them and using them as they please is near impossible.
I don't think it near impossible but it's impossible to protect it. Once the picture is display on your screen, it can be capture and edited.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM

Dameize is on a distinguished road

If I really wanted to steal them I would screen shot it and then cut the image out and blur the watermark or fill it with a faded colour so you cant see it or at minimum just cant make it out.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Katfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what backend you use for your website but there are free php, cgi/perl, picture programs you can use. They have many features and about all of them will put watermarks on your photos. The nice thing about using a photo script on your website is the watermarks are put on there automatically. You don't have to worry about marking them all before uploading. Beside that, tons of other features you would probably like. It's been awhile since I've done this type of work and I don't remember the links. But search google for "free php photo album" or similar keywords and see what you can find.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

I'd also look into a script that prevents right-clicks on the photos. That will deter 99% of the people who want to rip off your photos. If they can't right-click and save-as, then they don't know what to do. The rest of us, would just pull them out of the temp files or open them to full resolution and take a screenshot as someone else mentioned.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37