Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough
Default Please help fix RAID array

Stupidly I swapped out CMOS battery without backing up BIOS and now the customer's RAID does not boot.

The board is a GA-965P-DQ6

I have set the SATA type to RAID and it looks like this:

In RAID settings it looks like this:

Gparted identifies it as a 900+GB volume + 4 phys. disks, but spits this out:

... which Im not sure is entirely accurate given the history.

To be clear, all that happened was CMOS/BIOS reset and now the machine does not read the array.

Not sure where to start as I have not messed around RAID it for years and have no idea where to start. Im worried about breaking it.

Instructions as though speaking to a 4 year old appreciated, as I am really out of my depth here.

Last edited by 16k_zx81; 02-24-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 AM

Craka is an unknown quantity at this point

It's RAID 0 setup, thus no redundancy. I was going to suggest pulling a drive and rebuilding however that will not work.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM

I cannot speak from first hand experience of doing this but I have come across this. It may help http://www.overclock.net/t/478557/ho...ber-disk-error
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

Oh dear!

So do you know what the RAID level was to begin with?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechie View Post
Oh dear!

So do you know what the RAID level was to begin with?
Nope

Old 02-24-2012, 06:56 AM

rsarceno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
Stupidly I swapped out CMOS battery without backing up BIOS and now the customer's RAID does not boot.

The screen that your getting is normal. I'm get similar screen (raid not recognize) when I change SCSI controller on a raid environment. Basically all you have to do is re-create the raid. In your picture, it looks like Drive 0 is non raid and drive 1,2 and 3 is raid 5. But if I where you, I would back it up first. (Be careful if your planning to do backup image for each drive. I've never had luck recovering raid from image backup)

1) Send all three Drive for data recovery unless you own a software. (label the drive with permanent marker) This shouldn't be too expensive because the raid and the drive are intact. This is just a safety measure.
2) Once it's back up then reconfigure the raid. Drive 0 (Raid 0) and Drive 1, 2 and 3 (Raid 5).
3) For Scsi, there's an option for re-build or re-create raid. A big warning sign about using the create option on existing raid will wipe out the data. I'm not sure if SATA is the same. I've haven't recover RAID for SATA;
4) Once you commit to the new configuration, there no turning back. (unless you send it out for recovery but this time it would be very expensive)

Good Luck

Last edited by rsarceno; 02-24-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 AM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

Won't R-Studio automatically detect the RAID config if you point it at all the disks?
Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM

VladD is an unknown quantity at this point

R-Studio would probably sort that out with little ado, it doesn't have too steep a learning-curve, and is invaluable software to have on hand.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM

I assume as Gparted is detecting as a 900GB volume than all those 4 drives were arranged in a RAID 0 (striped) array.

It is not booting due to the 1st drive not showing as a RAID member, all drives of a RAID 0 array need to be online for it to function as data is striped across the drive as one logical volume with no redundancy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

In that screen shot it is indicating what the RAID level is.

If it were a higher RAID level it would not be a logical volume of 900+ GB, ie if it were RAID 1 it would be approx 464GB volume due to RAID 1 being mirroring.

RAID 5 would not reach the full 900GB+ logical capacity of the physical drives either, it would be just shy of 700GB for a logical volume.

Thus to me it would be a RAID 0 with 4 physical drives within the array.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

Ick!

I agree with Craka...the BIOS screenie you have shows a single RAID 0 volume, 931 gigs in size. That would be 4 of those drives if you consider the capacity of each, versus the size of the RAID 0 volume it shows it thinks it should have.

The entry level onboard SATA RAID controllers on desktops are horrible at recreating when something goes wonky like this. On higher end server RAID controllers they're good at doing something like importing a missing member again...finding the RIS file on the drive, and BAM it's back online fine.

Hmmm...what to do on yours.....I'd look at finding out what data was on this. For someone to have a setup with 4x drives in RAID 0....this has to be a computer that does not store data. Someone just built it for gaming? Although..why all that storage just for gaming. I'd talk to the owner first..see what data might be on it, and make a move after finding out the answer to that. Either try to retrieve data if it was there....or if he/she says nothing important on it, try to import that first drive into the volume again and hope it picks up and boots.

RAID 0...any member goes missing, it's all unusable..hence not able to boot.
Gotta get that member back in there.

Good luck with this one!

After it's done..find the person that setup this computer in the first place and tell them to go find another field to work in. RAID 0 with 4 members..LMAO! Talk about playing Russian Roulette each and every day! RAID 0 risk enough with just a pair...but 4 drives...double the chance of failure!