Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM

JRDtechnet is on a distinguished road
Default Macbook pro startup combo keys won't work

Ok I was asked to do a password reset on a mac figured it would take 2 seconds with a boot disc. However when I tried to boot from the disc by pressing C it wouldn't read the disc it seemed like it would try and fail, so I tried my disc same thing. Figured it was a faulty superdrive replaced that and it's doing the same thing. Now I'm realizing that none of the startup keys are working.
Option-Command-P-R
C for startup CD
Option
Shift for safemode
Command V

Nothing works, it always goes straight into the login screen. I even tried command+option O + F to see if that somehow set a firmware password that doesn't work either. The keyboard types when trying to put in a password just fine. I even tried an external mac keyboard into the usb ports. Any ideas??

Computer Repair NJ
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

More than likely liquid spill into keyboard and a key or keys are stuck/triggered so no other key commands work. Probably why they figured it just needed a password reset? Disconnect built in keyboard then try with usb keyboard to verify.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
More than likely liquid spill into keyboard and a key or keys are stuck/triggered so no other key commands work. Probably why they figured it just needed a password reset? Disconnect built in keyboard then try with usb keyboard to verify.
Out of curiosity why would the keyboard work fine when the logon screen comes up?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM

danrcf is an unknown quantity at this point

try booting from an extenal HDD with OS X if you have one, then reset the password.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_chevyss View Post
Out of curiosity why would the keyboard work fine when the logon screen comes up?
Depends on which keys are affected. If you go into system prefs/international or system prefs/language and text (depending on which version of OSX) and then go to input sources. There should be a check box for keyboard viewer. Check it on then on the menu bar at the right, near the clock there will be a new keyboard viewer icon. Click on it and select "show keyboard viewer" then a keyboard GUI map will show on the screen and show any key or keys pressed.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool. Kinda wish I had a mac to try it on.