Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM

archie42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is success?

What is success?
This is a very important question.

When I was running my own IT business in the mid 90s success was having a BMW, a nice office away from home and having a few staff.

Today my aims have changed.

My wife now has a good income as a registered nurse (earning more than me) and I am looking at having a more life balance situation....

Thinking about getting back into the "Self Employed" situation again..... (as I think I am getting too old to be taking orders and putting up with corporate bullshit)

Success to me now is - having time to do the things I want.
I need to be able to pick up my kids from school, complete a bachelors degree part time and also fit in some paid computer repairs.

I think earning $20,000 - $30,000 part time whilst having the flexibility to do the above it success. Obviously I am prepared to work when there is work....

This forum has been excellent for me. I have overcome my fear of the $10- pizza tech. I am going to charge $40- an hour. This is based on my experience and knowledge.

I do not EVER want employees! I only ever want to run my business from my home office.

What is success to you?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

BostonGeek1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say paying all your bills while working only 10 hours a week is success.............
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM

joydivision will become famous soon enough

Not sure realy. Been running my business five years and have managed to pay my low bills (live at with the parents).

However I do go out clubbing each weekend and my business has given me some wonderful holidays and a brand new car. I wouldn't say it was a sucess though because I could do that by working in McDonalds full time. However I work a lot more flexible hours than all my 'employed' mates and I never feel like going to work.

Income wise my business has not been a sucess but certainly life style wise it has.

I really need to focus on now on getting new clients and try to push the 20k barrier this year (2011-2012) but that is another issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Appleby is on a distinguished road

Success for me is running a profitable business making over $40,000+ a year with no employees and not working more than 30 hours a week in the office or with customers. I actually one "work" about 25-28 hours a week on average BUT that doesn't count all the time I spend at home doing invoicing, ordering parts, researching new technology etc. I spend another 4-8 hours a week doing that and yes it is work but at least I can be at home and do it whenever I want.

To be honest, my business is a success by those standards and I'm not griping but my goal is to work the same hours and make $60,000+ with NO employees. The only way this can be achieved is by charging a little more, billing more accurately for my time, getting a few more business customers and not giving so much away. The last one is the biggest thing for me. I am waay too nice of a guy and give away too much work for free or at way to cheap of a price to friends, good customers or even strangers alot of the time.

But honestly, even if I'm able to meet my 2nd goal, that doesn't mean I want to do this forever. I really want to do something else at some point and make twice that much money, yet still being self-employed and not working 80 hours a week. A big ambitious? Maybe, but this is America.
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:37
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

For me, success is making a living off of my business and making it sustainable. I'd never settle for only working enough to just pay bills; I want to save for retirement and purchases and have money for play time. Basically, I want to make equal to or more than I would make working for someone else.

Knock on wood, I've been successful for a while now.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM

I just life basis on the fact I will be dead by 40. If I am not I will worry about it at the time
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

BostonGeek1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision View Post
I just life basis on the fact I will be dead by 40. If I am not I will worry about it at the time
That's a little depressing considering 10% of the population here in the states makes 100k+ a year. Doesn't anyone have goals to be in the top 10, 5 or 1%?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 PM

Ccomp5950 will become famous soon enough

to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Also doing what you enjoy and making a living out of doing so isn't bad either.

I don't have to drive a BMW and be mentioned in forbes, don't get me wrong I wouldn't turn it down. But I would always be happy paying my bills, setting a bit back, and living comfortably within my means.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGeek1 View Post
That's a little depressing considering 10% of the population here in the states makes 100k+ a year. Doesn't anyone have goals to be in the top 10, 5 or 1%?
Average life expency in Manchester is about 70 but I live in a posher part which is probably about 80. I do eat like a Yankee though (pizzas, cola etc) and I drink a lot at weekends.

I am just prone to heart attacks because of my charector. I worry all the time.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 AM

K007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydivision View Post
.... (pizzas, cola etc) and I drink a lot at weekends.
Forget about 80, you'll be dead in a bank holiday weekend before returning to work the next Tuesday and that is of course unless the Torries will not raise the pension age to 80