Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken View Post
We bought one at the Apple price as well before finding these. I just hope Apple doesn't switch to a different type again, gets expensive to buy specialty tools.
Yeah, tell me about it. Did you see the price for the "fixture" Apple is selling for removing the/replacing the heatsink on an 09 and later Macbook Pro logic board to keep the board from flexing? It was $150 bucks. I didn't think it was necessary, but we try to play by Apples rules for warranty work.

Before that was the "wedge" for removing displays on unibody machines. That is basically a $50 or $60 Styrofoam triangle.

Next is the diags that they want us to use requiring server hardware and a copy of 10.6 server. You'd think they would help pay for the equipment to run all this stuff or at least quit cutting the labor rates for warranty repairs?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 AM

NeutronTech will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to NeutronTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
You'd think they would help pay for the equipment to run all this stuff or at least quit cutting the labor rates for warranty repairs?
There's no incentive to. Just like any other industry; for every person who says "screw it", 5 more are willing to take their place. People just can't seem to join collectively and stand up for something. So we're just going to keep getting screwed until there's no room for anymore holes.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutronTech View Post
There's no incentive to. Just like any other industry; for every person who says "screw it", 5 more are willing to take their place. People just can't seem to join collectively and stand up for something. So we're just going to keep getting screwed until there's no room for anymore holes.
Well we stand up to them as much as they try to screw us, especially on on-site repairs. But in Apples case for any independently owned shop that decides its not worth it, Apple is happy to throw up a corporate store to handle the business. Although we have freedom to do and sell things that Apple corporate places don't, there is so much restrictions we have to deal with from Apple that I'm sure their corporate stores don't have to think about. Like the one part per machine every 30 days. When we are repairing a machine, Apple thinks it's impossible for more than one part to need replaced at a time. On the other hand, I've seen cases where Apple corporate has the freedom to throw parts at something until its fixed. Makes me wonder where it's all going? Just like Apple likes to keep consumers in the dark, they do the same if not more so in regards to their service providers.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM

dracken is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to dracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. Did you see the price for the "fixture" Apple is selling for removing the/replacing the heatsink on an 09 and later Macbook Pro logic board to keep the board from flexing? It was $150 bucks. I didn't think it was necessary, but we try to play by Apples rules for warranty work.

Before that was the "wedge" for removing displays on unibody machines. That is basically a $50 or $60 Styrofoam triangle.

Next is the diags that they want us to use requiring server hardware and a copy of 10.6 server. You'd think they would help pay for the equipment to run all this stuff or at least quit cutting the labor rates for warranty repairs?
We have been pushing for a server for a while for our department now with the Apple Service Toolkit we might get one of the $1000 mac mini loaded with OS X server. Yeah the wedges, barcode scanner for parts return, AASP fee and recertification tests all add up. We do warranty service for other manufacturers as well and they don't require any of the same kind of things apple does.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
We have been pushing for a server for a while for our department now with the Apple Service Toolkit we might get one of the $1000 mac mini loaded with OS X server. Yeah the wedges, barcode scanner for parts return, AASP fee and recertification tests all add up. We do warranty service for other manufacturers as well and they don't require any of the same kind of things apple does.
That Mini should work out well. I'd been wanting to get one for myself but don't have the extra scratch floating around to invest in one. We have an older G5 tower running 10.5 server in the shop we are using for back-ups and a bunch of other servers older than that running some internal data bases, proxy servers, email server, etc..But of course Apple would make everyone need an Intel server to run these diags on. I wonder if Apple wasn't seeing the numbers sales wise they were hoping on the mini server and possibly did this just to boost the sales of them.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:51 PM

purple_minion is on a distinguished road

Wow, makes me love Apple more and more every day!

I think those security bit sets would make great gifts, maybe even for fathers day! At $8 you can't go wrong.

My only story was grinding down a torx bit to fit into the xbox 360 controller, the shoulder was just a hair too wide to reach the deepest one. Did get it apart and fixed the bumper buttons... don't let your neighbor throw their controller in anger.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:31 PM

JRDtechnet is on a distinguished road

I bought the same exact tool set PcTek9 bought, I also purchased this set about a month ago. It actually has 2 small 5-point bits in it but I never had to use them yet and I'm unsure if any are the correct size for the Apple. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Computer Repair NJ
Old 05-30-2010, 02:53 AM

PcTek9 has a spectacular aura aboutPcTek9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately a standard security set does not have the right size bit for this.
You are absolutely right... I never noticed that before.

Sorry guys, I was wrong.

I checked my 100 piece bit set, and they are all 6 pointers, no 5's ...

Tags
5 point star, battery removal, screwdriver, tri-wing, unibody macbook