Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 AM
VIP

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough
Default How did you get started in repair?

My story is simple, I kept hearing about the "internet" and my aunt had AOL chat, I found it fun to play with, but it was expensive in 1994 when you had a dial up connection to a town 20 miles away LOL.

I started playing with my own internet when I started college in 1995, I basically was on telnet and using an Apple. I started hanging out in the computer lab a lot as I just fell in love with the net, programs, goofying off, etc.

After about a year, I found myself helping the students in the lab more than I was goofing off and asked the manager to just hire me on as I was there enough and felt I should get paid for it. I knew more than the work study kids. After a month or so, the VAX admin gave me rights to the email systems and a few other AS400 duties, basically things he didn't want to do for support.

3 years later, I left the computer lab to graduate and take on my first corporate job. I am thankful that in college I took every single computer class I could so I could excel with helpdesk positions. Still going strong obviously, I just love troubleshooting and helping clients. I have tried to leave the IT field twice, but both times came running back to what I knew and loved.

What's your story?