Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM

SilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the roughSilverLeaf is a jewel in the rough
Default My ISP now offering computer repair

Just got my monthly statement from my ISP, and inside the envelope was a flyer indicating that they are now offering computer repair. Free diagnostic, $65 O/S install w/ backup, $40 virus removal, others at $20/hr.

Fortunatly, they are an alternative ISP for those who don't have access to DSL or cable, so thier account base isn't huge. Still, it's not something I'm thrilled about. It is likely to have an initial impact. My hope is that they provide shoddy service, and drive thier customers my way. Time will tell.

On a side note, has anyone ever negotiated a deal with a local utility (phone, data, water, etc) to include a flyer with thier monthy statements? Might be worth looking into?

My guides for using Parted Magic in the shop:

Hardware Testing With Parted Magic
Guide to Using ddrescue
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM

Tech in SC is an unknown quantity at this point

My local ISP/Phone Co/Cable Co/Wireless Co... used to bring (or send) all their repairs to me and then a few years ago they decided to do it in-house. They have a monopoly on Phone and ISP in 3 counties (which I service) but I haven't really seen a big impact from them. People around here already have a negative view of them simply because they are a monopoly, their service isn't great and their prices aren't competitive.

Never-the-less, they are a big competitor for me and they have all the money and marketing they could hope for. When you have services that are the same or similar to the next guy you have to separate yourself from the competition by doing it better or adding value.

I've never approached any utility about ads in their statements. Most of my utility companies have moved to (or are moving to) paperless. I personally throw anything away in my mailbox that looks like an ad. I throw the bills on my wife's desk and I open the checks...lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLeaf View Post
Free diagnostic, $65 O/S install w/ backup, $40 virus removal, others at $20/hr.
Desperation.

--------------------
(feel her... I mean FILL HER... I mean FILLER)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLeaf View Post
Just got my monthly statement from my ISP, and inside the envelope was a flyer indicating that they are now offering computer repair. Free diagnostic, $65 O/S install w/ backup, $40 virus removal, others at $20/hr.

Fortunatly, they are an alternative ISP for those who don't have access to DSL or cable, so thier account base isn't huge. Still, it's not something I'm thrilled about. It is likely to have an initial impact. My hope is that they provide shoddy service, and drive thier customers my way. Time will tell.

On a side note, has anyone ever negotiated a deal with a local utility (phone, data, water, etc) to include a flyer with thier monthy statements? Might be worth looking into?

I worked for a company that did outsourced troubleshooting / level 1 stuff for quite a few ISP's as well as having an AV program (the main focus) and an advanced repair dept. that was level 2/3 remote computer service and the prices were way too high, service way too low and If it wasn't for the contracts with the ISP's I have no doubt they would be out of business. The poor service and quality of workplace drove me to starting my business. Anyway point is the lack of quality will no doubt catch up with them if they offer poor service and will push the customers to you. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Wow, that worse prices than our crappiest and cheapest shop in Jacksonville.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Parkwaytech is on a distinguished road

As others have said, don't worry about it. Their reputation will soon drive their customers to you. I remember when our ISP in Virginia advertised something similar. I even had customers saying that their service was already awful. They didn't want them anywhere near their computer!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

All of the smaller ISPs offer repairs around here. I've only known a handful of customers who have ever used their services.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:45 AM

twincountycomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkwaytech View Post
As others have said, don't worry about it. Their reputation will soon drive their customers to you. I remember when our ISP in Virginia advertised something similar. I even had customers saying that their service was already awful. They didn't want them anywhere near their computer!
have agree with you, I've received quite a bit of business from people who have used the online tech support (free or paid) from cen*****ink, I might need to send them a christmas card....

I live in a county that is controlled by a "small" co-op phone company that has the county government around it's finger and has been able to keep out any competiton, atleast as far as phone and television go. They can't stop people from getting satellite or cellular service, but even AOL has never had a local access number in this county. My business is actually 25 miles away in a much larger area so I don't have that much exposure to the residents of the county I live in, but that has changed now that I put an ad in the local phone book. The co-op branched out into computer repair several years ago, if my business was in this county I would consider them a threat just because EVERYONE knows who they are, on the flip side, I'm starting to get a lot of customers who are very dis-satisfied with them.
PO Box 456
Woodlawn, Va 24381
30 Melrose Ln
Galax, Va
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM

MFHull is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I have to agree with everyone else. Do sweat it too much, and use this as an excuse to re-examine your customer service aspect. I had the same thing happen, only where I was they were the only high speed ISP. Any of my customers that tried them out all came back- lack of quality and horrible customer service. And now the ISP dropped the repair side, and send their customers to me. They won't be able to offset cost with that price structure.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 AM

nonchalant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcx View Post
wow, that worse prices than our crappiest and cheapest shop in jacksonville.
lol