Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Hardware

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM

Tepin is on the way
Default Building my first NAS

I want to build a NAS over the next week or two in the shop to replace the backup drives on both of the tech benches we have in the shop. My goal is to build the NAS with in house parts and then upgrade it to a dual core ATOM board and Enterprise level drives.

I'm going to start with a soft RAID but I am uncertain which way to go. FreeNAS looks good but I've heard bad things about it's bandwidth. I've even read some reviews that said they got better transfer rates switching to Win 7.

Since this is a single purpose device I'd rather go with something less robust. Don't get me wrong, IMO Win 7 is top notch for MS desktop OS but there is a lot of functionality built into it that is unnecessary for the purpose.

Does Windows Home Server support soft RAID? Are my apprehensions about using FreeNAS unwarranted? Are there certain things I can do to avoid the issues other people have had with it?

I'm open to any and all suggestions as long as it involves in house parts and free or inexpensive software solutions. I'm hoping other folks have done some of the things I'm considering and can share their experiences, but if you found something I haven't even mentioned and are pleased with the results please advise me!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 AM

gikstar is on the way

For a start, check out this recent Thread: http://www.technibble.com/forums/sho...etwork+storage
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM

krtechsolutions is on a distinguished road

Go with an OS you know, even it cost a few more bucks as you will gain the money back with your time
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM

kwisher is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to get your hands dirty and learn Linux at the same time, I would suggest using either Ubuntu Server or Debian. Use a spare small drive for the O/S install and slap 3 larger drives for a Raid-5 storage array. If this is too much work for you, the same system could be used with FreeNAS. I have not heard about the issues you mentioned with FreeNAS. The only thing I have heard negative is to use ver.7 instead of ver.8. Can't remember the exact reason.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Tepin is on the way

Thanks for the link gikstar, I read that thread last week and then forgot about it. Good info there.

I have FreeNAS up and going now and managed to create an anon CIFS share that is visible on my network.

My Linux skills nowadays are horrible, I've just loaded Mint 12 on my netbook to start familiarizing myself with it again but I believe I would be way over my head if I tried to setup a NAS in Ubuntu or Debian. Once I feel like I have a firm grasp on what I'm doing with FreeNAS I will give it a shot though.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM

paristotle is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 for FreeNAS. There are a lot of advantages. I love that fact that I can use it as an SMB share and also as a Time Machine share for my Macbook. You can even join an AD if you wish.