Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 AM

compnet will become famous soon enough
Default reset ubuntu passwords

This one is killing me.. I've tried everything google has to offer to no avail..

I've tried;

booting to recovery = doesn't work because it has root password
booting to single user (replace ro with rw and add init=/bin/bash on kernel line) = Authentication token manipulation after passwd command and password is unchanged

so reading up on the token error, I tried mount -o, remount, rw / (also added -n) = same token error

Then tried booting from the live cd, and doing chown, and I'm getting the same token error..

The only thing I haven't tried is some googling mention comparing /etc/password and /etc/shadow, but the don't go into any detail of what to compare or how to actually do it..

I'm mostly a linux noob, about to throw in the towel..
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM

rjframe will become famous soon enough

Boot a livecd or slave the drive to another PC. Find and open /etc/shadow (make a copy first). It will have a list of entries that look something like this:

username:$6$QR3drPrQ$JLolPKyiVuXvea1F2IpbPx9F9PEV0 s/IGcNCpm6ZrBA6AFDvwHPQG7EsTQHuUqxfCvlsuKRb.O7w5RLPy j8nS/:15129:0:99999:7:::

The random-looking text between the first and second colons are your password. Find the user you want, then delete the password:

username::15129:0:99999:7:::

Reboot the PC.

G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjframe View Post
Boot a livecd or slave the drive to another PC. Find and open /etc/shadow (make a copy first). It will have a list of entries that look something like this:

username:$6$QR3drPrQ$JLolPKyiVuXvea1F2IpbPx9F9PEV0 s/IGcNCpm6ZrBA6AFDvwHPQG7EsTQHuUqxfCvlsuKRb.O7w5RLPy j8nS/:15129:0:99999:7:::

The random-looking text between the first and second colons are your password. Find the user you want, then delete the password:

username::15129:0:99999:7:::

Reboot the PC.
Nice tip, thanks for sharing
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM

Finally got back around to this one. there are 2 partitions, one has all the system files, the other has all the username folders. on the system partition there is no shadow folder or password folder in the /etc folder.

I'm just gonna give the computer back. I think the user either took measures to prevent normal password resetting procedures from working, or the install is somehow corrupt.. I've spent way too much time on this already.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM

codegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the roughcodegreen is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnet View Post
Finally got back around to this one. there are 2 partitions, one has all the system files, the other has all the username folders. on the system partition there is no shadow folder or password folder in the /etc folder.
/etc/passwd (note the spelling) and /etc/shadow are not folders; they are text files. How did you look for the files? Did you boot from a livecd? If so, did you remember to mount the hard drive and look for the files there?

Code Green Technology:
Fredericton Computer Repair
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codegreen View Post
/etc/passwd (note the spelling) and /etc/shadow are not folders; they are text files. How did you look for the files? Did you boot from a livecd? If so, did you remember to mount the hard drive and look for the files there?
:facepalm:

Next problem, I don't have permissions to open the shadow file... Also, what would I open them with on an ubuntu live cd?? open office?

edit:
typing mount in terminal give me this for the partition I'm looking at

/dev/sda6 on /media/(hash) type ext2 ( rw,nosuid, no dev,uhelper=udisks)

Last edited by compnet; 04-30-2012 at 09:47 PM.