Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr
Default Trunking

I need to fit some small trunking to hide a couple of cables at a time. Should I attach the trunking to the wall by screws or double sided tape. The walls are just thin partition walls so I am looking more to the tape but open to suggestions or others experiences.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

I personally use screws, size dependant on the thickness of the walls obviously.

I have found in the past that the tape does tend to lose its stickyness, and looks awful half hanging on the wall. Better spending a little bit more time, making it look more professional.

EDIT: Half hanging on the wall, by that I mean on a ceiling. On a wall it has sagged completely. I have seen offices, where previous tech's have used the tape method. Hence my pro remark.

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 PM

4ycr has a spectacular aura about4ycr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to 4ycr

Thanks,I have used screws on bigger ones but not was not sure about smaller trunking.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

Depending on what the wall is made of - plasterboard etc, then you could theoretically use small nails. But screws would hold a lot better. You can get small screws - screwdirect are the best and probably cheapest.

You can also get trunking off them too .

Nige
Cadishead Computers
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

There are lots of good cable raceways, when applied properly, they'll stick and stay fine. Some of the better ones have a good quality adhesive backing to them, and you need to clean the surface you're applying them to before applying them. I have done lots of raceways that are still adhered nice and sturdy years and years later. And I have seen lots of cheaper ones, pulled back...looking like they're about to fall down, most likely the person that set them up didn't clean the surface, and used cheaper ones with poor quality adhesive backing.

I'm a fan of screwing things in when you can, but in some lots of situations, I just don't want to put holes in the walls.