Go Back   Technibble Forums > Other Discussions > General Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM

katz is on a distinguished road
Default Any of you fellows into RC?

I've been an avid R/C'r of all types of craft for many years. Here lately I have been interested in the micro helicopters that you fly indoors. The technology has come such
a long way, so much so that pretty much anyone can fly these things. The gyro stabilization makes stable flight possible right out of the box. They are a blast!

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107...5297621&sr=8-1

At $20.00 a pop, a pretty cool toy to take up much of your free time! Anyone else here into this stuff? I've been into the micros for only a couple of months & I already own 5 of them (different models).
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM

anglian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz View Post
I've been an avid R/C'r of all types of craft for many years. Here lately I have been interested in the micro helicopters that you fly indoors. The technology has come such
a long way, so much so that pretty much anyone can fly these things. The gyro stabilization makes stable flight possible right out of the box. They are a blast!

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107...5297621&sr=8-1

At $20.00 a pop, a pretty cool toy to take up much of your free time! Anyone else here into this stuff? I've been into the micros for only a couple of months & I already own 5 of them (different models).
I am not, but have always been interested by RC. Especially ones that fly. Just don't know if I can justify the cost of a nice RC plane and then crash it. (I hate starting with the easy things and learning like normal people )
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 PM

LOl - Crashing is a thing of the past, for the most part.

The learning curve used to be steep, but with the stabilization built into these things make it almost foolproof. The model I linked to is one of the most stable craft on the market.

BTW, replacement parts are avail. for a small fee if you would need them

But these things are built tough enough to take a beating & keep going. If it's something you've always been interested in, I encourage you to give it a try!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM

NETWizz has a spectacular aura aboutNETWizz has a spectacular aura about

I am into RC big time...

Some of my stuff works otu great... Some is a poor failure.

Here is a failure of mine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJSY4Ug-07E
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
I am into RC big time...

Some of my stuff works otu great... Some is a poor failure.

Here is a failure of mine...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJSY4Ug-07E
LOL - I loved the "nose plant" landing - why waste precious time on a graceful approach?!?!?

Seriously though, it looks like the center of gravity needs to be adjusted on that plane. It might fly pretty decent if it were set up properly.

I am self taught and my first flights were like that, even worse when I got one stuck in a tree once. A neighbor who worked for the cable company used his bucket truck & got it down for me.

@ Zen - The quadcopters are kinda cool - I have been looking at them. Here in the states you can pick one up for a little over $100.00 US.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM

ECComputers is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ECComputers

I am about to invest some money in a Traxxas Slash 4X4 Car , seems the RC world has come along way since I was a kid , these cars can do 60+mph and Li-pos have changed the RC world especially with helicopters and planes. I need a a hobby to take up my free time this summer . My Buddy has the Traxxas Spartan boat and it screams on the lake , so i am pretty pumped.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM

kevinjhaag is on a distinguished road

I'm into RC racing but business has taken more of my time in the last year that i haven't much time to do it. I'm not into flying but always interested. The bigger scale helicopters are more pricey and easier to crash and burn tho. I have a monster truck for bashing and a truggie for racing.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM

ZenTree will become famous soon enough

funny you should mention this now, i've been debating getting a cheap quadcoptor over the last week or so but finally decided against it today. The mqx is only a bit more than 100 and planned to use it for cheap photo/video drone to mess about with but at the end of the day figured it was a phase not a long term hobby.
I've messed about with super cheap helis and planes before (10 to 15) and had great fun until they broke (heli i stepped on - doh, plane I lent to my brother who gave back with matches attached to the wings to support it...) and they were great but I'm such a sucker for a great gadget.

Quads do look amazingly versatile though, once they come down to about 60 i'll reconsider.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katz View Post
andcorptech,

I've been away from the field for a few years too, so when I realized the advancements in these micro helis & saw I could have some fun w/o leaving the house I decided to spring on it.

Lots of fun, more fun than simulators, let me tell you! I started out in nitro models years ago & then went to 4 strokes, but with the advancements in batteries/tech, I may just go with all electrics from now on.
I know but there is just something about nitros. The smell, the feel. Plus the club i was with was fun socially as well
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 AM

vtscomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

I started flying R/C planes about 15 years ago, with a PT-40 trainer. I outgrew that in about six months and have been "working" on building a Top Flite Corsair since 1998. I figure someday I'll have to time to finish it..