Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Remote Support

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 AM

technibbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ScreenConnect or Remote Support System?

LMI and Teamviewer are just a little too much.

ScreenConnect: $300
Remote Support System: $349
remotesupportsystem.com

I've read a lot about ScreenConnect and have tried it. I love these features from RSS that SC does not have:
- Collects client contact information (for billing).
- Tracks session time, even across multiple reboots and displays timer in the top-center of the client's display. No guess work on how long you spent working.
- Auto-generates an invoice for the session and emails it back to you and, or the client upon completion. New in version 1.4, the ability to completely customize your invoice and accept credit cards as payment.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH RSS?

Looking forward to hearing any comments.

Respecftully.
Benjamim Orozco
alhambracomputerservices.com
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 AM

bigdessert is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me first of say that I am an AVID SC user and participate with many of the pre-release and do a lot of bug testing for them so take this how you will.

I had tested many of the remote support software out there and also did test RSS. Here is what I didn't like about RSS

RSS is based on a modified VNC.
RSS left program files left over after disconnection.
RSS had it's last update over 100 days ago....seems to not be updated very frequently and not many new features are added.
RSS has no mobile connection options(critical in my business where I need to connect with a server acting up when away)

Here is why I liked SC:
-Programmers are actively involved with the customer base to find out via forums what they want and help them integrate the SC sessions into their own software.
-Many updates and they even let you participate in their pre-release(beta) stages of their software.
-Always adding tons of new features!
-mobile connection options
-And last but most important is the ability for Unattended installations!

I have dealt with a lot of software vendors over my career and have to say SC falls in the #1 or #2 spot for best software vendors to deal with.

Now at this point it sounds like I am a huge fanboy and kind of am. If you were to make the decision between teamviewer and SC there would be a much less differences list. The only thing that kept me away from teamviewer was the high pricing.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice

Also don't forget to factor in that members of ACRBO (which is free) get 20% off when purchasing SC.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 AM

rsavoia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to rsavoia

I used RSS for awhile and I've tried many others as well. My issue with RSS was that it was a bit cumbersome working with the client at times compared to some of the hosted services such as Logmein and GoToAssist. On the other hand, I prefer a self-hosted system as I don't like the constant fees of a subscription based payment model.

I interviewed Jeff on The Force Field and we discussed some of the differences between ScreenConnect and VNC-based systems such as RSS. Part 1 of the interview was released last night. It may help provide more information to help you decide which way to go. The link is in my sig.
Episode 68 - How To Quit Your Job and Start a Computer Business Part 1

Last edited by rsavoia; 05-27-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM

pcpickup is on a distinguished road

Another option is http://www.helpdeskvnc.com/ It is VNC based but the price is very reasonable if you buy the licenses at the same time.
$125 for the first support person
$85 for the second support person
$55 for the third support person
$34 for the fourth support person
I have done some testing with the software and it seems to work well, even in windows 8.

I am still using my customized version of SCPrompy VNC for my support and it seems to be working well. I only considered helpdesk VNC before I had the bugs worked out of my customized SCprompt.

http://www.facebook.com/pcpickup

http://lawrencesystems.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM

bitbytes can only hope to improve

Just wanted to add my comments.

Bumpy at first just a bit but we really have enjoyed Screen Connect.
The product is very stable and I can't think of any major issues since we have used the product in a year.

Very competitive price also.

I would go with ScreenConnect.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 AM

JustInTech is on a distinguished road

+1 for screenconnect as it's stable, completely brandable, easy for the client to use and my favourite is that they are constantly adding useful features.

Cheers

Justin Prebensen
www.justintech.co.nz
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM

AlaDes is on a distinguished road

I have purchased licenses for both Teamviewer and Simple-help (would have purchased SC had I known about it because they are nearly identical).
As far as simplicity for the customer, I'd have to say SC takes the cake. You send the customer to your SC domain and you are in their system in no time. However, you are limited to one session at a time, unless you purchase additional licenses.
As far as overall cost, believe it or not, Teamviewer takes the cake. I can work on 15 clients computers at the same time using one license. Compare this with SC's licensing cost.
Don't get me wrong, I love both of these remote tools and each have their pros and cons, which is why I do own both.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 AM

technibbling is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point AlaDes ... I'll probably jump to TV because of that....1K more and I can access unlimited PC's at once.

Last edited by technibbling; 04-20-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 PM

susan7 is an unknown quantity at this point

AlaDes makes a good point.
Floating licensing is more cost-effective.