Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM

brandtp83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hardware Diagnostics

Hi Everyone.

In my shop I offer free hardware diagnostics for my customers.. I know, I know, I should be charging for these.. But I have found that saying "free diags" seems to get people in the door easier.

That being said, right now we are using ultimate boot cd and running memtest and the drive fitness test for memory and hard drive testing.

Does anyone have a better solution for this? These programs seem really outdated and I'm not entirely sure how accurate they are.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 AM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Drive Fitness Test is still a valid program, I believe a few people around the forums use it, including myself. I tested it yesterday with SeaTools for DOS on a just about failing (only one or two bad sectors) disk and they both failed it, so it's still good. Memtest is a good tool but memory errors can be very hard to pinpoint and diagnose using such software, meaning you may need to run it for hours (maybe days) on end, even after successful passes, before you find any problems.

There's also suites like PC-Doctor; some people swear by them, others fail to see the point. They can usually test a lot more than free alternatives, but still require quite a high amount of functioning semi-hardware before they can run. One of the massive advantages is you can usually batch diagnose and run consecutive tests after one another, rather than having to start/stop a different utility every couple of hours.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
Memtest is a good tool but memory errors can be very hard to pinpoint and diagnose using such software, meaning you may need to run it for hours (maybe days) on end, even after successful passes, before you find any problems.
I have been letting memtest 86 + run on machines for at least 9 hours before I am satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
There's also suites like PC-Doctor; some people swear by them, others fail to see the point. They can usually test a lot more than free alternatives, but still require quite a high amount of functioning semi-hardware before they can run. One of the massive advantages is you can usually batch diagnose and run consecutive tests after one another, rather than having to start/stop a different utility every couple of hours.
I recently started using PC-Doctor. I am fairly impressed so far. There is quite a multitude of tests that can be performed. I still use other tools (SeaTools and Drive Fitness Test for HDDs) but PC-Doctor is a nice piece of my toolkit. Worth the money IMO.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Without going into too much detail . . .

gmsmartcontrol: HDD diagnostics, allows me to test up to 8 HDDs on one machine at a time and 20+ HDDs in a day on that same machine

Memtest86+: By far the most accurate memtest diagnostics I have come across, of course you need to run it for at least 6 passes. Its not hard to pinpoint memory failures, just need to know what you are doing. I have never HAD to run a test for longer than 6 passes or 8 hours. Most major failures will show up in the first couple passes, while more subtle errors will show up closer to 5.

PC-Doctor: Not very accurate for HDD diagnostics, but its good for a second opinion. Memory test is not as good as memtest86+ either. However, for MOBO, CPU, and GPU, its probably the best thing out there. A couple things you have to consider though. There quite a few false positives that you will have to recognize and learn to ignore and you can only test it on one machine at a time.

On that note of not charging for a diagnostics, you really need to change that. Why (well there are many many many reasons why)? Because the word FREE attracts "Free Loaders" . . . people who are only interested in knowing whats wrong with their computer and not actually in repairing it. Yes, you will obviously get people who will pay for repairs, but instead of wasting your time on those who do not, you might as well get paid for your time.

In my experience, people charge what they are worth . . . are you worthless?

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Rob_NNCC is on a distinguished road

We do free estimates/diagnostics. We also try to turn a PC around in 1-2 days. These two things really help us differentiate us from our competitors.

If a bank is offering free checking, does that mean that it is worthless?

Also, we have not had any freeloaders, just people seriously considering using us to fix it. Our competitors charge a $50 or even a $120 diag fee. Our rates are still the 2nd highest in town, though, so we don't attract the cheap guys.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Slaters Kustum Machines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Without going into too much detail . . .

gmsmartcontrol: HDD diagnostics, allows me to test up to 8 HDDs on one machine at a time and 20+ HDDs in a day on that same machine
I just downloaded and installed gsmartcontrol yesterday to check it out. Seemt to work pretty quickly and I was unaware I could check multiple HDD's at once, that's even better! What kind of power supply are you using with 8 HDD's?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't gsmartcontrol do an ATA self test of the drive?

Edit: Just had a chance to actually test the windows version on a failing disk that DFT & SeaTools diagnosed as failed, and even a quick test came back with read errors. Seems to work nicely.

Last edited by iisjman07; 04-06-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM

Frick is on a distinguished road

If you do not know Linux and need a quick way to run gsmartcontrol, clonezilla, photorec, and much more then check out the Parted Magic live cd.

It is best to have a dedicated box, but live CDs are good if you do not have the resources.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedWise View Post
If you do not know Linux and need a quick way to run gsmartcontrol, clonezilla, photorec, and much more then check out the Parted Magic live cd.

It is best to have a dedicated box, but live CDs are good if you do not have the resources.
I was looking at the website for Gsmartcontrol earlier and saw that it is included in the Parted Magic disc. Good to know. Thanks.