Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road
Question What do you use for testing RAM on Macs?

Hello all. I just upgraded my Macbook Pro to 8 GB of RAM and at the moment I am using memtest 86 + to do a burn in and test for errors. My issue is that even thought memtest 86 + is working just fine, the keyboard does not work therefore I cannot reboot, access the test configuration, etc.. Are there any Mac compatible memory testing programs that will let me configure the tests or am I just doing something wrong? What have you guys found to be the best memory testing software to use on Macs? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 AM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

what happens when you press esc?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrenda View Post
what happens when you press esc?
Nothing. None of the keys work. The underlights for the keys don't even come on. I am guessing that Memtest 86 + does not include a driver for the keyboard on my machine. It still tests the memory though. I ran it for about three hours last night without issue, just couldn't control it at all.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Caldwellone is an unknown quantity at this point

Rember might work if you can run it from the desktop..http://kellycomputing.net:16080/rember
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

You can press the power button and restart the computer . . . ? I use memtest86+ on macs all the time.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
You can press the power button and restart the computer . . . ? I use memtest86+ on macs all the time.
That is how I ended up restarting. When you use Memtest 86 + on Macs are you ever able to use the keyboard?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 PM

PCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the roughPCX is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
That is how I ended up restarting. When you use Memtest 86 + on Macs are you ever able to use the keyboard?
never need to . . . why would you?

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
never need to . . . why would you?
I guess I don't need to but it would be nice to be able to configure the memory tests. I'll take what I can get though. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Caldwellone is an unknown quantity at this point

For some reason the link didn't work.. Try this.. http://kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM

isqrd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusted IT Solutions View Post
Hello all. I just upgraded my Macbook Pro to 8 GB of RAM and at the moment I am using memtest 86 + to do a burn in and test for errors. My issue is that even thought memtest 86 + is working just fine, the keyboard does not work therefore I cannot reboot, access the test configuration, etc.. Are there any Mac compatible memory testing programs that will let me configure the tests or am I just doing something wrong? What have you guys found to be the best memory testing software to use on Macs? Thanks.
There is also a memory test built into Mac systems. Just hold "D" down while rebooting. We used to run that all the time at the Apple Store when we used to upgrade RAM for customers.