Go Back   Technibble Forums > Service Solutions > Servers

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 AM

paristotle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default File and print for OS X

I want to setup file and printer sharing for a mixed Mac and PC LAN. The remaining PC's will soon be retired and replaced with Mac's. The windows server needs to be retired soon too.
I can buy them a MacPro and install Lion server, but they seriously don't need all the management features. They really only need file, and printer sharing.
I am thinking if using FreeNas, but I want to avoid any problems when a Windows and Mac computer need to access the same file. I also thought of using a Samba server. Any ideas or input? Anyone already live this scenario and have good advice?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

How many printers total? I had to install a few MACs to a clients existing work..larger network of around 80 computers, 6 servers...but the MACs only needed to access some of the common shares. Lion had some glitches with active directory up until about 5 weeks ago when a patch finally fixed their bugs. As for printers....I just added the printers as local IP printers. Lion still seems glitchy with SAMBA shares....keeps nagging the crap out of you to re-authenticate. I'd guess since it's going full MAC...go with a MAC server.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM

altrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the roughaltrenda is a jewel in the rough

Buy them a mac mini server. easy to set up, works well in a mixed environment.
http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM

hacknscan is an unknown quantity at this point

another option for basic file and printer sharing is the apple time capsule. Used one at home for years with no trouble in a mixed environment.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 AM

paristotle is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
....keeps nagging the crap out of you to re-authenticate
That's actually one of the problems I have on the current NIX NAS. Too many requests to reauthenticate.
I guess I can go with the the mini server. They are advertising it with a Promise external storage array. Normally I would stay away from that but the I/O is thunderbolt so it should be fast enough. Thanks for the input.