Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 AM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road
Default Which programs to use for HDD diags within Linux and which flavor do you use (Linux)?

Hello all. I would like to make a dedicated Linux box for HDD diags and data recovery. I would like to know which flavor of Linux you like best and which programs you use for HDD diags and data recovery from within Linux. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

I'd recommend the System Rescue CD, it comes with lots of stuff built in. For diags you can use badblocks, for data recovery you can use ddrescue, photorec, testdisk, ntfsundelete…
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM

atlanticjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by degresh View Post
Hello all. I would like to make a dedicated Linux box for HDD diags and data recovery. I would like to know which flavor of Linux you like best and which programs you use for HDD diags and data recovery from within Linux. Thanks.
LOL. Thanks for posting this question ... I had just logged into TN to post THE EXACT SAME THING!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM

mrvoids is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of the forensics live cd's are good for what your looking for most of them contain the programs mentioned above plus the device listing and mounting program often will give you the smart information and allow you to run the smart tests. A few of them are DEFT linux, CAINE, and Backtrack. Also for another program like ddrescue check out dc3dd.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Well, you can do just about anything on Linux that you can do on Windows. Most programs that you use on Windows either has just as good of an alternative or better on Linux. Unless your a heavy gamer, Linux should suit most of your needs. However, since this is primarily a computer repair forum, here are the utilities I use

Live CDs: Helps to quickly determine if an issue is software or hardware. Also allows you to test hard drives for those computers where you have to completely take apart the computer to get to the drive.
Kaspersky Rescue Disk: Gentoo linux, not sure why you would scan a virus infested HDD from another Windows machine.
ddrescue: data recovery, cloning
fdisk: data recovery
gsmartcontrol: SATA HDD SMART test
disk utility: quick bad sector count. Also, if gsmartcontrol keeps aborting test, often time this utility will catch an electro mechanical error.

Other General Uses

Data Transfers: No permission issues (on a Windows HDD, must be root for Mac), no need to worry about viruses
Data Backup: Same as above
File Manipulation: Can again easily modify or edit files without worrying about viruses or permission issues.
Just about anything else you can think of.

That covers a great majority of the tools we use on a regular basis, not to include our motherboard diagnostics and memtest86+

All I can say is the Linux has made my job as a tech and shop owner easier, safer, and more efficient than Windows ever could. If you can't make money off it, then your doing something wrong.
That was quoted from another thread I responded to. I left some of it out . . . .

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 AM

16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough16k_zx81 is a jewel in the rough

I wish someone would make a decent gui for gddrescue. Im all keen to use it but dont have the patience for all that sda bollocks. I can do it but it makes my brain hurt!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16k_zx81 View Post
I wish someone would make a decent gui for gddrescue. Im all keen to use it but dont have the patience for all that sda bollocks. I can do it but it makes my brain hurt!
Really? Well, one suggestion I can give you is this. Save the command that you most commonly use on a note pad and copy and paste like this

ddrescue -r3 -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb logfile

and then edit the locations accordingly. You can check the disk utility or gparted if you are unsure of the appropriate locations and need an easy way to identify them. Once you have used the command, you can then press the up arrow key to find the command again and again edit the locations accordingly.

It's really not that hard, we use it regularly, so we are pretty used to it.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Peaceful is on a distinguished road

<<< Hasn't a clue what he ^^^^ just said
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM

HFultzjr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by degresh View Post
Hello,

For recovering (copying) data.....I use Puppy Linux.

Boots really fast
Minimal system requirements.....works on older equipment
Auto mounts drives....including a usb if you have it plugged in before booting
When booted....open the hard drive....open the USB.......copy and paste

It seems to copy files that are corrupted also.

I have also used it on drives that were not visible in Win environments.

Doesn't give errors or stops when problem file found...just keeps right on going.

I believe the version I'm using is 5.25 or 525, or something like that. Don't know if that's the latest, but that version will auto mount drives making it really easy for those not experienced with Linux.

Also make a great operating system for older computers needing just the basics like checking e-mail, web surfing, etc.

One of the easiest Linux versions to learn and play with.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Encrypted Existence is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions!