Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Apple Macintosh

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about
Default Which restore disks to use?

Hi

How do I determine which OS version a Mac originally shipped with? I've yet to have a Mac customer be able to find their disks or know exactly what version of OSX they are running which is a real pain when trying to replace a completely dead drive.

Also are different restore disks for different models? For instance, if I have a 15" White Macbook and a 17" Macbook Pro Alu Unibody both running Lion - will the restore disks for both be the same?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 PM

compnet will become famous soon enough

If they had lion just put lion on it. If they don't have restore disks I just put the latest version that will support it on. (general rule if its silver - lion, if its white - 10.5). And ya a lion install disk will work on any mac that supports it.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnet View Post
If they had lion just put lion on it. If they don't have restore disks I just put the latest version that will support it on. (general rule if its silver - lion, if its white - 10.5). And ya a lion install disk will work on any mac that supports it.
Thanks for getting back.

If I knew what they originally had, I wouldn't be asking the first question

Also, as far as I was aware, just putting on the latest version, if it shipped with an earlier verision and was not upgraded, might be in breach of the licence. Is this the case?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

worse comes to worse, you can always call apple and give them the serial on the mac.

Before you decided to post your problems on the forums, did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Be willing to do what your competition is not.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 AM

sal13 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you identify the model number, for example A1181 for a white Macbook late 2006. For that one, pull the battery and its across from the ram slots, newer macbook pros have it on the bottom case. At everymac.com you can search and it will show what the original version of OS X that was installed. If you don't have the specific disc for that machine, you can find a Snow Leopard disc and license online for ~$40. Or if its lion compatible $69 from Apple.

-Sal
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM

isqrd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

If you have a mac or iOS device a great application to have around is Mactracker, once you find the model number, it will let you know what OS it originally shipped with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubya View Post
Hi

How do I determine which OS version a Mac originally shipped with? I've yet to have a Mac customer be able to find their disks or know exactly what version of OSX they are running which is a real pain when trying to replace a completely dead drive.

Also are different restore disks for different models? For instance, if I have a 15" White Macbook and a 17" Macbook Pro Alu Unibody both running Lion - will the restore disks for both be the same?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM

DanF is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had a Macbook (it died on me), I came through a website that tells you everything about it. You just input the serial number and it even tells you when it was manufactured, hardware details, software, etc...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Guys thanks a mil for all the great info particularly everymac.com and Mactracker. Both of these have everything I need.

The reason I asked was that I installed 10.5.6 on a white unibody macbook and the sound didn't work. Turned out it needed 10.6.1 .... I won't get caught again thanks to everyone who replied.