Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM

TechLady has a spectacular aura aboutTechLady has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Cleaned keyboard and now it's dead!

Ok! Client's HP laptop appeared to have a stuck key...

http://pancakeonastick.com/hmmm/wtf1.MOV

Did that every time, everywhere, although after reboot it sometimes picked different characters. When I made the movie it was 3, another time it was c. And the the system fan was going like mad trying to deal with this apparent permanent key stroke.

So I carefully removed the keyboard as per the manual and blew out as much gunk as I could with my electric duster (http://goo.gl/dxE2N) ...put it back together, anaaaaand...now it won't start. No lights. Nothing. Dead as a doornail.

Yes, the keyboard cable is firmly attached to the socket (so firmly, in fact, that I left it intact and did not unplug it, but I tried to be careful around it), battery is back in, etc. I'm at a loss.

I did notice some light stickiness around keyboard...nothing major...client said he cleaned the screen today and was judicious with cleaner...a bit of sandlike crumbs that managed to get into cracks of keyboard (which I got rid of) but it certainly did not seem to be enough that it would cause what I saw in that movie.

What now? Laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6-3025dx.

G+ | Facebook | Twitter
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Have you tried turning it on without the keyboard?

Also, this is why we replace them instead of cleaning them. I can't count how many times I have had customers bring in laptops to me that have broken keyboards because a tech tried to clean it.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 AM

I thought about that, though to be honest the procedure would have been pretty much the same, and I wasn't 100% sure about the cause...it sure looked like stuck key to me but I'm still not completely sure.

G+ | Facebook | Twitter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLady View Post
I thought about that, though to be honest the procedure would have been pretty much the same, and I wasn't 100% sure about the cause...it sure looked like stuck key to me but I'm still not completely sure.
Not sure that I understand anything that you just said.

Did you try turning it out without the keyboard installed?

The procedure would not have been the same . . .

Replace keyboard:

1. Take out old keyboard
2. Install new one in.

Clean Keyboard:

1. Take out keyboard
2. Spend lots of time cleaning it, hope to God that you don't make it worse and waste your time when you could have just ordered a new one
3. Install it back in . . . if you didn't end up having to order a new one.

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 AM

Scenario 1:

Replace keyboard-

1. Take out old keyboard
2. Install new one in.

Scenario 2 (what I did - Clean Keyboard):

1. Take out keyboard
2. Blow a little air on it
3. Install it back in.

A lot like above, with the difference of air. That's it.

G+ | Facebook | Twitter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Scenario 1:

Replace keyboard-

1. Take out old keyboard
2. Install new one in.

Scenario 2 (what I did - Clean Keyboard):

1. Take out keyboard
2. Blow a little air on it
3. Install it back in.

A lot like above, with the difference of air. That's it.
Ah, ok, so no alcohol or chemicals to clean out liquid spills (which is what usually cause sticky keys).

You still haven't answered my question though. Did you try to turn on the computer without the keyboard? Your problem is that you can no longer turn on the computer right?

Also, try taking out the battery and turning it out with just the charger.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Elemdee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok! Client's HP laptop appeared to have a stuck key...

http://pancakeonastick.com/hmmm/wtf1.MOV

Did that every time, everywhere, although after reboot it sometimes picked different characters. When I made the movie it was 3, another time it was c. And the the system fan was going like mad trying to deal with this apparent permanent key stroke.
Seems like you might have a few issues going on here, because the system fan going like mad wouldn't have any direct relation with a key stroke issue. I suspect if you remove the heatsink you'll find a layer of dust smashed together like insulation, keeping the system too warm and raising havoc. Clearing that out and replacing the keyboard will probably do the trick.