Go Back   Technibble Forums > Operating Systems > Microsoft Windows

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 AM

HFultzjr will become famous soon enough
Default Windows COA stickers is a PIA

Hello,

Is anyone else really peeved at the newer Windows COA stickers?

I have seen many that are rubbed off and unusable, since they went to the "paper" stickers.

I have been putting carton sealing tape over the ones that are still legible.

What a way to save a few cents!!!!!!!!!!!

Harold
ACS Alternative Computer Solutions
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 AM

PC Ops will become famous soon enough

Same here, I've been putting tape on all unprotected coa stickers I encounter since Vista. Seen so many unreadable...
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 AM

PCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nicePCX is just really nice

Same here. The only other thing I can suggest is to collect what ever recovery disks you can for computers that have rubbed of recovery disks. Alternatively, you can use the recovery partition and even if the hard drive is failing you can clone the failing hard drive and use the recovery partition on the new drive to restore Windows.

Just a couple of ideas if you are try not to order cds to save your customer money.

Did you run a FULL diagnostic?

Are you tired of getting defective iPhone screens? Try eTech. We used to send back boxes of defective iPhone screens to WGP, now we rarely get them.

"The smartest and most successful people in the world are those who surround themselves with smarter and more successful people than themselves"
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM

tankman1989 is on a distinguished road

You should be able to pull the key from the registry. You can use this program to find it (ans A LOT of other info from the computer/network): http://www.gtopala.com/

IDK if the paper COA's were a way for MS to sell more licenses or what. Once they rub off some people might think they have to buy a new key if they don't know how to recover the key from the registry.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post
You should be able to pull the key from the registry. You can use this program to find it (ans A LOT of other info from the computer/network): http://www.gtopala.com/

IDK if the paper COA's were a way for MS to sell more licenses or what. Once they rub off some people might think they have to buy a new key if they don't know how to recover the key from the registry.
It's not the case a lot of the time. The key in the registry is not the one on the COA(I think it's a manufacturers mass key) and doesn't work most of the time in my experience although I rarely use it. If you have a proper oem cd then the key isn't required, certainly seems to be the case with Dell and HP.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

PCS is an unknown quantity at this point

The paper stickers was in an effort to thwart people who removed and resold the stickers/ restore media.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM

PC Ops will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
It's not the case a lot of the time. The key in the registry is not the one on the COA(I think it's a manufacturers mass key) and doesn't work most of the time in my experience although I rarely use it. If you have a proper oem cd then the key isn't required, certainly seems to be the case with Dell and HP.
That's right. If there never was a re´nstall the pc probably is still activated with an OEM SLP (System Locked Pre-installation) key. Some good info on this topic here.
These keys won't work with the media we use. (See the link why). There are ways to build your own oem media but that's a too grey area and off-topic.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM

joydivision will become famous soon enough

It is a problem but I have sometimes manage to get the keys using Jellybean. A lot of laptops now just have the sticker inside the battery which solves the problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

andcorptech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadishead Computers View Post
I have to ask though, why would you even want to remove the coa sticker?, it is only valid on that one particular machine in any case. Unless of course, your moving it under the battery compartment.
We have removed alot in the last few years when we swap cases. There was a local business in town a few years ago who insisted on using small crappy cases which have some really hard to get uatx power supplies. We end up recasing alot of them but there was one that was used in a "custom fit" shop bench. It cost me $120 to get a case and PSU as the PSU alone wasnt available. We can recase them in a different case with 500W PSU for $88 so we need to move stickers over. I mostly use just a razor blade , which works with some practice, but i will be trying the heatgun as well now.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Cadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the roughCadishead Computers is a jewel in the rough

That makes sense to me andy. I've done similar in the past, where the font panel was irreparable etc. or case badly smashed, as it had been dropped on the floor by a temper tantrum..

However jft's comment had me worried that they 'could' of been transferring licenses from one machine to another. Hence why I posted my question to them.

Nige
Cadishead Computers