Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about
Default Charging out of your area

I work mainly in an area I can travel to in 15 mins and about 10 miles so all calls include travelling in my minimum hourly rate. I'm going to a business on Thursday out of my area that will involve around 40 miles and an hour each way. How do you cost that? I'm thinking my business hourly rate onsite plus say 1/2hr each way @ business hourly rate. Any thoughts?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM

YeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to beholdYeOldeStonecat is a splendid one to behold

I charge 1x way travel, plus expenses.

This week I have to drive ~3.5 hours one way to get to a job I have to do over by West Point. I'll be billing this client 3.5 hours, plus any "tolls" I might have to drive through, plus the time I'll be spending onsite at this "compound" I have to work at. So if I spend 4 hours onsite...that's 3.5 hours to get there, 4 hours onsite, 3.5 hours back home. Plus say...$5.00 in tolls. Total time of 11 hours, but I'll invoice 7.5 hours plus 5 bucks.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Cambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura aboutCambridge PC Support has a spectacular aura about

Yep, +1hr sounds reasonable Martyn.

But if it's a long job, ie >4hrs then I'd think about waiving the extra hour.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM

OldSchoolPC is on the way

Be very careful of charging clients anything that might be deemed "extra". Saying something like, "oh your outside my area, therefore that is an additional 2 cents surcharge" will actually scare people away. They will say to themselves, "I don't wanna pay 2 cents EXTRA, so I'll find someplace that closer." They will do this, even if a closer place charges $40 more. It may not be rational, but it's in human nature I have found. Alternately, you can have different rates for different areas. Otherwise, try having a 2 hours minimum charge as opposed to a 1 hour minimum.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 PM

ljtechservices is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ljtechservices

I charge hourly rate "door to door" outside of 15 miles. usually it's the trip to a client. but occasionally it varies.

My furthest client currently is an hour drive. I support it remotely most of the time but sometime's, like later this week I have to go onsite and install new equipment.

I don't know what i'm going to do with another client that wants to open a satellite office in St. Louis. It's a 3 hr drive minimum. I'll probably just bid the initial setup. do most of the support remotely and work with a local tech for the other things down there.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:29 PM

Rosco is on a distinguished road

0-25 miles= free
26-35= $15.00
36-45= $25.00

and thats as far as i go!
if people are willing to pay i will travel....

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\GO C:\PC\CRAWL
Nibbler for life
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM

sassenach is an unknown quantity at this point

The clock starts as soon as you get in the car. If you are on the way to their premises you can't be doing any other work at the time, so on-site rate from start of journey to leaving their premises.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 AM

Tony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura aboutTony_Scarpelli has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
I work mainly in an area I can travel to in 15 mins and about 10 miles so all calls include travelling in my minimum hourly rate. I'm going to a business on Thursday out of my area that will involve around 40 miles and an hour each way. How do you cost that? I'm thinking my business hourly rate onsite plus say 1/2hr each way @ business hourly rate. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat. However I have one client who lives 60 minutes away and has no IT support. So they agreed to pay my travel time both ways about four years ago. So they basically pay about 2 hrs at my on site rate of $120 per hour. I do not charge mileage on top of that.

I have done so much work for this client (average about 6-8 hrs every other month for four years) and their calls are always 5+ or 6+ hrs so I have recently started charging them only one way travel. They have purchased two servers and 20 workstations from me with a decent margin that was higher than they could have bought directly from dell or open box store.

So now that I discount 1 hr I still get 6 or 7 hrs pay per visit. Once or twice have I gone for less than that. In both times I charge two way travel.