Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-09-2010, 04:12 PM

gsander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I charge a customer in advance for a large hardware purchase?

For me 'large' is relative. This is a part time job for me and most of my work is for home customers. One of my existing customers wants me to purchase a computer for them and get it up and running. It will be be a bit of a hardship for me to float them the money for the new computer until it is shipped, I have it up and running and they pay my bill. I'm wondering if I should ask my customer for the price of the computer in advance of the purchase. If so what is the best way.

I understand that many of you build computers for customers and/or have ready cash for these things but my business is not to that point yet.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Majestic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsander View Post
For me 'large' is relative. This is a part time job for me and most of my work is for home customers. One of my existing customers wants me to purchase a computer for them and get it up and running. It will be be a bit of a hardship for me to float them the money for the new computer until it is shipped, I have it up and running and they pay my bill. I'm wondering if I should ask my customer for the price of the computer in advance of the purchase. If so what is the best way.

I understand that many of you build computers for customers and/or have ready cash for these things but my business is not to that point yet.

Thanks
Even with big companies, I charge 100% on the hardware if it is anything over say $100. You're not a big brand store and can't afford to take on net-30 necessarily (and if you can, then more power to you!)

Especially in the cases where your customers can say NEVER MIND and you're stuck with either a) the product b) the 15% restockng or any other condition of the sort, get a deposit.

On Server installs in fact I charge 50% of the planned labour on the day of the work itself. When it comes to big money you have to be very careful.

Hope that has helped!

Majestic
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM

MobileTechie has a spectacular aura aboutMobileTechie has a spectacular aura about

I'd want the money for the PC before I bought it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

Deposits is how we do things. Usually 40-50%
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Technibble Sponsor

mhelpdesk is on a distinguished road

Absolutely. At the very least request a deposit. Especially if you aren't in a position to eat the cost. It is actually the norm to request a deposit, so don't feel like you are inconveniencing them by asking.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. If you want to justify it think about ordering stuff online.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM

ljtechservices is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ljtechservices

I have a $500 limit on hardware purchases without prepay. has never been a problem.

Customer last month needed to buy a ReadyNas. Told him he could pay in advance and get it from me or buy it from the link i sent him.
He bought it from the link and i set it up. Also appreciated that i gave him the option to save a few hundred dollars.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM

xxsilk109xx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have customers pre pay for parts before I order them. The only exception is if the item is under 50 bucks, like power cords and such for laptops, a stick of ram, etc. But for PC, I charge the parts, shipping, and tax ahead of time, then the customer pays for my labor which is a flat rate of 150 bucks when they pick the computer up, never had a problem. If someone balks at it, most likely they dont have the money and are waiting on their next check to pay you anyway...these customers are also the ones that tell you to go ahead and fix thier computer, then it takes them a month or more to come and pick it up..
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Even with big companies, I charge 100% on the hardware if it is anything over say $100. You're not a big brand store and can't afford to take on net-30 necessarily (and if you can, then more power to you!)

Especially in the cases where your customers can say NEVER MIND and you're stuck with either a) the product b) the 15% restockng or any other condition of the sort, get a deposit.

On Server installs in fact I charge 50% of the planned labour on the day of the work itself. When it comes to big money you have to be very careful.

Hope that has helped!

Majestic
Thread done in one. Filler filler
Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 PM

dgiles79 is on a distinguished road

I don't think it should be a problem to at least ask for some kind of deposit, maybe 50%?

My business is probably similar in size and funds as yours is, and I was just considering the same issue. I was thinking about asking for some kind of deposit for part orders totaling over $100 or something along those lines, but I don't want to cause any issues with potential customers.