Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM

computerdoc is on a distinguished road
Default Network Windows 7 to Windows 2000

The office that I'm working at just installed a new Windows 7 professional machine into a Windows 2000 network. I am trying to connect the Windows 7 machine to a printer on one of the 2000 workstations.

I changed the network compatibility in Windows 7 in order to see the rest of the network. I briefly saw the other workstations but could not see the printer.

The Windows 7 machine is running Trend Micro Internet Security and the other machines are running Norton. Would making the entire network a trusted network help?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Majestic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdoc View Post
The office that I'm working at just installed a new Windows 7 professional machine into a Windows 2000 network. I am trying to connect the Windows 7 machine to a printer on one of the 2000 workstations.

I changed the network compatibility in Windows 7 in order to see the rest of the network. I briefly saw the other workstations but could not see the printer.

The Windows 7 machine is running Trend Micro Internet Security and the other machines are running Norton. Would making the entire network a trusted network help?
Have you checked the sharing access on the printer? Perhaps adding "everyone" to the shared group would help.

Majestic
Old 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Martyn has a spectacular aura aboutMartyn has a spectacular aura about

I would temporarily take out the firewalls just as a check. Is the printer a networked printer, if so print direct to it? I've been to calls where they have a printer connected by usb and they have a network port available!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 AM

BeyondReality is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you change the name of your Domain on the Windows 7 Machine. I see this the most when people are trying to network computers together. I think it windows 7 it defaults as WorkGround and in XP and prior it is MSHOME, they have to match.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 AM

BDPCR is on a distinguished road

If the machine is in a workgroup environment make sure they both have the same "workgroup" name. As recommended before disable firewalls, use proper computer names, check that proper protocols are enabled in network settings and that the host pc is sharing the printer. In a domain make sure you add the new machine to the domain, firewall disabled to test, check Domain Controller as well.

Tags
networking, windows 2000, windows 7