Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM

letsmakedonuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you setup free wifi for a business?

A business I do work for wants their customers to be able to use free wifi. They currently have a linksys rangemax N with WPA2 encryption on it. Do I simply remove the WPA2 and I am good to go? I already set an administrator password for the configuration page and even changed the default ip... is that all I need to do in order keep things safe?

Also, what if a customer downloads something illegal while using the free wifi? Would the business be responsible?

Last edited by letsmakedonuts; 06-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:18 PM

iisjman07 has a spectacular aura aboutiisjman07 has a spectacular aura about

If you just disabled the wpa2 encryption then the customers would be using the same connection as their computers, which could potentially pose a massive security risk (assuming the business is actually using this router, or whether they bought it specifically for customers). As for the whole legality side of things, I believe in this situation where you're providing the service for legimate reasons and someone uses it to say, download free music, then I think the whoever pays for the broadband gets fined

Last edited by iisjman07; 06-06-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Alan22 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16138
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

iptech is on the way

You're thinking about setting up a wireless network with no encryption security! You might want to read through this before embarking on this project.

As for the legal implications: the client could be held responsible if he doesn't take due care in controlling what traffic is transmitted through his network, at the very least he should install session logging software and have a clear 'acceptable use policy' in place. He should also consider using filtering to minimise the risk.

Do you still work for Staples? I would have thought they would have a prescribed procedure for this type of setup. Giving free Internet access might sound altruistic, but there's a lot to consider.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:39 PM

PcTek9 has a spectacular aura aboutPcTek9 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisjman07 View Post
, I believe in this situation where you're providing the service for legimate reasons and someone uses it to say, download free music, then I think the whoever pays for the broadband gets fined
By that logic burgerking should be a long gone note in history after being sued under the table... LOL.

I will say this.. You do not want to do what you are thinking, ever. What you need to do is make sure they have the appropriate router.

Look up RADIUS. and learn about it and what it is.

Another thing you need to do is look up pvlans. Just do a search in the search box of technibble for pvlans. You need to know about those, what they are, what they do. Before you touch any of your ideas above sir.

Places like starbucks sell wifi at 2 hours for $3.99 and you have to get a card and sign up to even begin using this service. That way they know who broke into the pentagon.

There is a move in the u.s.a. at least by the government to stop unsecured wifi access, I heard it's embedded in the patriot act, but haven't read that so this may not be true. Anyway.

You can have a radius server that forwards a line to the point-of-sale (pos) printer, to be printed on a customers receipt. The line is just a printed access code they enter to gain access to your 'free' wifi. Or you can be like starbucks and sell it.

PVLANS are a way for a router to separate each customer and not allow them to view each others computer systems - or the businesses computer systems. It's a feature inside routers. I wrote a lot more info on pvlans on technibble just search for it, it will explain it all.

If you have any questions let me know, and I will be more than happy to help you any way I can.