Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising, Marketing & Sales

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 PM

Computer Fixer is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Trying to build Client Base of a VERY small Business

Hello from a newbie to this site.

I am running a very small computer repair business from within my personal residence in a brand new neighborhood. I am on a very tight budget=no startup money. I posted my own sign offering computer repairs in my living room window which looks out onto the main street. Passersby can see the sign clearly.

This has generated about a dozen calls for repairs over the last 2 years. And a lot of my onsite calls were obtained from referrals. I'd like to have the business pick up, but due to monetary constraints, I cannot do major advertising. I cannot afford an internet homepage to advertise my services either.

Since joining this fantastic site I have been reading posts about everything here. And before I ramble on forever, here is my question (finally)

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about generating more business on an extremely small budget? I welcome all comments critical or otherwise. And to all those that read this and reply (hopefully) thank you for indulging me.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

<BastardMode>

You got to be kidding !?!?.

Google, craigslist, yahoo.... There are a million other places to post online. Local to you and national. Tons of online "newspapers" and "magazines" also offer this as well as computer repair or tech forums. I cant believe you actually put a sign in your window, but ok, thats funny so its cool. Anybody can afford a "internet home page".

Did you bother to read the forums here ? There is more info here about starting and promoting a computer business than ANY OTHER PLACE ON THE INTERNET. Use the search function, dont start asking people to rehash this all over again.

I really cant believe you only had a dozen customers in two years and think thats a good return.

Sorry to be so harsh but I really cant believe you havent found more info from this forum unless you are trolling or just dont know how to use this forum.

</BastardMode>
Asking for help ? If the make and model of your computer OR the O/S info is left off your post, I probably will not help you. It gets real old, real quick for me to have to ask for basic info just to help people.

Last edited by NYJimbo; 03-16-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Computer Fixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJimbo View Post
<BastardMode>

You got to be kidding !?!?.

I really cant believe you only had a dozen customers in two years and think thats a good return.

Sorry to be so harsh but I really cant believe you havent found more info from this forum unless you are trolling or just dont know how to use this forum.

</BastardMode>
Well, certainly an interesting reply. First, a dozen customers in 2 years stinks. That's why I'm trying to promote the business and second I am not trolling this site and last I'm still learning to use this site and yes I will take your input (harsh or not) and use it to force myself to be more proactive in generating more business. I did ask for any and all input didn't I?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

iptech is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Fixer View Post
Well, certainly an interesting reply. First, a dozen customers in 2 years stinks. That's why I'm trying to promote the business and second I am not trolling this site and last I'm still learning to use this site and yes I will take your input (harsh or not) and use it to force myself to be more proactive in generating more business. I did ask for any and all input didn't I?
It's not a business, it's a hobby. If you can't drive yourself enough to search for more business now then you will always struggle. Before you randomly start trying to seek business make sure you understand what you what from your business and then work on what you need to do to get to that objective. Draw up a business plan from there and it will become clearer to you as to how you can drive towards your goal - don't forget to factor in the time and cost of learning new and developing old skills; a dozen repair jobs over two years will not have given you much experience.

Not just on this site, but there are many good (and free) sources of help and advice in starting a business, but don't expect anyone to give you an instant formulated plan, you need to put in some thought, effort and a lot of preliminary work yourself.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM

onetech4all is on a distinguished road
Default Re:

Computer fixer,
do me a favor and go to google and in the search box type this or copy and paste it:
" how to advertise your business on a shoestring " (don't copy the brackets)
and start reading.
Good luck, mate!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetech4all View Post
Computer fixer,
do me a favor and go to google and in the search box type this or copy and paste it:
" how to advertise your business on a shoestring " (don't copy the brackets)
and start reading.
Good luck, mate!
Wait for it................

Wait for it..........

Wait for it......

Here it is

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Fixer View Post
I posted my own sign offering computer repairs in my living room window which looks out onto the main street. Passersby can see the sign clearly.
Do you sell lemonade also? I'm going with this is a joke..Just like Jimbo said, forum search will tell you what you need to know.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 AM

Psychoticus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well while i agree somewhat with the above posts i will give you some help.

1) Host your webpage on a free domain like .tk or .cc
2) Find some money to invest in some sort of signage and post around town (even if it flyers
3) Word of mouth is good so try and encourage your customers to tell their friend, offer slight discounts for them and the new client and then not only will you get new business you'll get return business too!

That should be enough to get you started so go forth and search the forums ;P
Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 AM

Xander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the roughXander is a jewel in the rough

http://toronto.kijiji.ca

New here? Watch this and read this. Remember, it's not our problem, it's yours so ask your questions well.
e.g. Make/Model#, Win version/SP#, BSOD 0x#. Consider posting Event Viewer logs, Autoruns exports or Speccy reports.
More info means better answers and less snark.

Don't be parasitic and only pose your own questions. Help others.

D7 question/idea/etc? Bring it to the D7 Forums.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 AM
VIP

callthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the roughcallthatgirl is a jewel in the rough

When I found TN, I knew I was home. First minute, first hour, first day.