PDA

View Full Version : Advertising directly against the competion?

JosephLeo
09-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Hello guys, I had a quick thought just now that's probably best answered by a lawyer and not forum members. But here goes anyway. What is the legal status of advertising yourself and directly reflecting upon why you're better than x computer repair shop? In example

With X Computer Repair you don't have to worry about hidden cost like with those other guys. Here at X Computer Repair we value ourselves in making our customers and their wallets happy. We don't think Geek Squad can compete with that.

So come on in and experience the X Computer Repair magic!

You see, I'm not directly mentioning that Geek Squad does or doesn't have hidden cost. I can actually say anything I want in place of "hidden cost", like say for example "costly repairs" and insert a "Price Match Guarantee" somewhere in there too with written estimate. All I am doing is saying that our competition is Geek Squad since they can't compete with me when it comes to making my customers, and my customers wallets happy. When I finally make the jump and contact a lawyer I will tell you what happens (this might be months from now of course). But in the mean time please give me your comments.

JosephLeo
09-30-2009, 05:44 AM
You're right :S sorry, post will be edited.

EDIT: Okay, edit is complete. Sorry for the possible spark.

dweebsonduty
09-30-2009, 07:08 AM
I think it is far better to advertise what you are good at and not what they are bad at.

Having said that, I sometimes use price in my advertisements and I use "Us" and "Them".

If you do say something about Geek Squad, for instance, make sure it is at least factual. I can tell you that they don't have hidden fees as I worked for them for a long time. They are just expensive.

Another thought is to put, "We don't think the geeks can compete with that."

iptech
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I think it is far better to advertise what you are good at and not what they are bad at.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Negative advertising, especially when pitched directly against a competitor will always come back and bite you.

Have confidence in your product/service and sell it positively.

MrUnknown
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I agree with the negative advertising comments. It has a better chance of comming back to bite you.

Your advertising materials should be interpreted as if your business was speaking. Sending out negative words will associate them with your business possibly in a bad way. Someone who thinks that GeekSquad charges too much may like it, while someone who has no real issue or negative view on GeekSquad may take it as your business being "rude." Nevermind that negative comments do not cause positive thoughts, again, these negative thoughts will be linked to your business.

TimeCode
09-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Instead, try something a bit more guerrilla. :cool:

I know of a pizza company who had decent business but then Domino's Pizza moved in and started killing them. So they came up with an excellent advertising campaign. They gave a discount to anyone who brought in a yellow-pages ad for Domino'a Pizza. Soon every phonebook in the area had their ad but there were no Domino's ads at all! And Domino's still had to pay for them for the rest of the year!!! :D

dweebsonduty
09-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Keep in mind too, if your campaign is based solely on price, all Geek Squad has to do is lower their prices and you will not have a chance.

Find a couple of things that set you apart, one good one being that you are local.

Blues
09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Keep in mind too, if your campaign is based solely on price, all Geek Squad has to do is lower their prices and you will not have a chance.

Find a couple of things that set you apart, one good one being that you are local.

While price wars are not good Geek Squad is at a disadvantage there agianst you as one you are the one local store there and there is more red tape for them to make a price cut.

I think it can be good but you need to be smart about it and use a tactic like the one TimeCode mentions. It doesn't directly attack your competitor but says hey they are our competitor so come in with thier ad and get a discount. Doesn't say there is anything wrong with dominos or cut thier prices except via the discount which is only when you bring in the ad(s). You are safe from legal action agianst you and it leaves the after effect of removing some of thier ads from peoples sight.

MM PC Solutions
09-30-2009, 09:40 PM

I know of a pizza company who had decent business but then Domino's Pizza moved in and started killing them. So they came up with an excellent advertising campaign. They gave a discount to anyone who brought in a yellow-pages ad for Domino'a Pizza. Soon every phonebook in the area had their ad but there were no Domino's ads at all! And Domino's still had to pay for them for the rest of the year!!! :D

I love that idea! :D

Mr I
09-30-2009, 09:57 PM

+1 that's a great idea, do you have more? :D

andrewrost3241981
09-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I try not to focus on the competition. I try to just state what I am able to do and why they should use my services without bringing up my competitors.

ijunkie
10-01-2009, 12:15 AM

That is an excellent idea. Kudos to you for mentioning this TimeCode. I might just try this myself, Thanks man!

Edit: OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread and I apologize. I really thought that was a good idea and I got excited before I even thought about posting

Kenhelms
10-01-2009, 03:57 AM
It all depends on your client base.

If you want the clients that are in it for the bottom dollar,etc then yes advertising price will get you those clients. But they are not really going to be clients, they are going to be one or two time customers. If you picked them up out of price, then the loyalty factor is not likely to be very high and the next time someone does a better deal...its on to them.

From a business perspective, if you are wanting large business clients...they do not hire based on price, they hire based on skill. To a large corporation, if you are 250 a hour, but they trust you with their data and know you can fix anything, they will pay it for the peace of mind. So to them, it wont matter how cheap you are.

Residential, yes it will most likely work for a majority...for the same reason cable tv/dish ads work, because you are appealing to the wallet and you are always replaceable.

Business, how many times do you see true consultants attacking each other? There is mutual respect and while GS hurts the IT industry, they are still in the same industry.

IMHO.....Sell your skill, not slander.