PDA

View Full Version : Antistatic Wriststrap vs. ESD Mat and Wriststrap

techwyze
09-27-2009, 08:43 PM
I pose a question to everyone - Does an ESD Work Mat w/connected wriststrap, which is connected to an Earth ground take the place of a wriststrap connected to the chassis of a machine.

*I guess we can't edit the polls.

NYJimbo
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I pose a question to everyone - Does an ESD Work Mat w/connected wriststrap, which is connected to an Earth ground take the place of a wriststrap connected to the chassis of a machine.

Thats the way I do it. I think the strap to machine is only when you dont have any other way to discharge.

techwyze
09-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Thats the way I do it. I think the strap to machine is only when you dont have any other way to discharge.

I know I feel better using the mat route.

computergeek1
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
I use a wireless wrist strap.

NickCat11
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM

*I guess we can't edit the polls.

+1, this is the way I do it as well :)

MikeBusby
09-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Neither.

(That should also have been an option in your poll.)

I wear a copper bracelet that I earth to the chassis everytime I reach into the computer. Never had a problem with using this method in the last 10 years.

JosephLeo
10-01-2009, 06:04 AM
None. I just discharge my body by first putting on a wool sweater while walking around in my socks as the have great anti-static properties. I then proceed to blow up a balloon and rub it on my head to get any static that's probably in my hair. I know it's working when I see my hair stand on end thus transferring the static into the balloon; Finally I make sure that my hand are static free by rubbing them in steel wool and nylon.

Once I'm all static free I then proceed to opening the computer, reach inside and...well you know, fix stuff and things like that.

Hahaha, man that'd be funny wouldn't it? I like to use a wristband only because I don't have the space or convenience to have a floormat. Also for all idiots out there...everything I said in the top two paragraphs is the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do. There, that will save some googler's some problems.

Tweak
10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
None. I just discharge my body by first putting on a wool sweater while walking around in my socks as the have great anti-static properties. I then proceed to blow up a balloon and rub it on my head to get any static that's probably in my hair. I know it's working when I see my hair stand on end thus transferring the static into the balloon; Finally I make sure that my hand are static free by rubbing them in steel wool and nylon.

Once I'm all static free I then proceed to opening the computer, reach inside and...well you know, fix stuff and things like that.

NO WAY, ME TOO!!! I do exactly the same thing and always thought I was the only one that used this time tested method, great info available here guys, thanks for an informative forum, I'm enjoying it here thus far!

(Have both anti-strap/mat, also touch casing to discharge beforehand out of habit.

techwyze
10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
NO WAY, ME TOO!!! I do exactly the same thing and always thought I was the only one that used this time tested method, great info available here guys, thanks for an informative forum, I'm enjoying it here thus far!

(Have both anti-strap/mat, also touch casing to discharge beforehand out of habit.

Ah,,,, funny people!

thor999
10-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I have a special tinfoil hat and athletic support that allow me to ground at all times, unless I am in sunlight. Seriously, I am pretty darn sure that a good wristband gator-clipped to the PSU when flipped on will ground you just fine. Just remember to switch it off before fiddling around in there, and to repeat step #1 if you take 1 or more steps away from the computer w/ no wristband attached to an active PSU. I'm still getting a roll-out tech mat for onsite anyways, just for show.